You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-9-2014 02:47:16  #1

Buying another Portable

Hey folks, 

Been a while since I've been here. And I'm thinking of getting my second typewriter. 

After considerable thought, I'm deciding on buying an Olivetti 32 Lettera. It's small, compact, very tough, simple, sleek and easy to use. 

I wanted any input that other typists might have, who have used this machine? What is it like to operate and use? Is it comfortable and easy to type on? 

Where I live, Lettera 32s are EXTREMELY COMMON. So finding one for less than $25 should be bloody easy. But I want to know that I'm buying a good machine before I blow any cash, so feedback is appreciated. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

29-9-2014 07:33:50  #2

Re: Buying another Portable

The Lettera 32 is rock-solid. I've had mine since 1982 and I used it to churn out a lot of assignments back in high school. These were in production from 1963 till around 1986. That alone should tell you something. I've owned two others in recent years and they all type very well. The carriage lock can be a little erratic, but other than that, I can't think of much else that could go wrong with them. Make sure, though, that you get one with the original spools. They look like film reels. One other thing. The keys can feel a little more close together than other machines, but this is something that one gets used to very quickly. I have quite a few other machines. You may not notice a difference.
If you can snag an Italian made model, then all the better. While I agree that they are a common typewriter, I'm not so sure you'll get one for less than $25.00. Well, not a good one, anyway.
Consider looking at the Lettera 22 also. Although, that may be a pricier typewriter and a little harder to find.
Best of luck and I may see you at the Pen Show in November. ;-)

My blog, about typewriters,wristwatches, fountain pens, Bond, and whatever else happens to be polluting my mind at any given time;
---->   http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au

29-9-2014 09:13:10  #3

Yes I will certainly be at the Pen Show in November. You can be 100% sure of that!!

I've seen LOADS of 32s. And I mean LOADS. They show up all the time for peanuts. I think finding one for a good price in good condition should not be very hard. If I do, I may bring it to the show. 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

29-9-2014 17:41:50  #4

I am a fan of the 32s, and I guess I have had five of them (most to fix up and give away to seniors as they graduated and left my creative-writing club). They are rugged and pretty easy to fix. I echo the carriage-lock caveat, but most ways they are good little machines. They also have the cool "insta-indent" feature.

29-9-2014 22:07:23  #5

What other typewriter models should I consider? 

I'm looking for a typewriter which I can use on a regular basis without worrying it'll break down all of a sudden. I don't want to use my old Underwood Standard Portable from the 1920s too often. 

I'm thinking of good, solid, well-made, quality portables. 

Stuff like maybe a Royal QD. Olivetti 22, or 32. Or an Olympia (I have seen a few of those lying around). 

If I can, I'd love a Hermes 3000. I think my uncle had one as a young man, but he has no idea where it is anymore. I like the sleek look of the early 3000s. 

What are folks' opinion on those? Are there any other good portables I should think of? 

I saw one of these at the local flea-market once. For some stupid reason I didn't buy it. It wasn't very expensive, either. 

I saw an Olivetti Studio 44 portable at the flea-market last week. I almost considered buying it. But it was an absolute BEAST of a typewriter. What are peoples' opionions on that machine? Is it good quality?

30-9-2014 01:03:33  #6

I can help with that Hermes 3000 - it's very good indeed!
Hard to imagine that you would be disappointed with it.
One of the great things about it is the case, believe it or not; it pops off instantly and it goes on in a flash, it is steel, has no base to fiddle with or align (the case automatically aligns with the machine), and is as tight to the machine as it can be (no wated space).  I use this machine more often than I might otherwise just because it is so quick to get into action and to put away.
All the rest is top class too, except perhaps the paper rest, which I don't like.
This is a fully-featured, medium sized machine, but it moves like a portable.

Last edited by beak (30-9-2014 01:05:58)

Sincerely,
beak.

30-9-2014 12:41:18  #7

When I think of the best portable models - that were produced in large numbers, which makes availability, price and parts reasonable - two that you suggested are on that list.

Any Royal portable from the late '30s to early '50s is a great investment. Well balanced type action, above-average performance, and sophisticated styling. Within that model range, the Quite De Luxe is perhaps the best known, but if a slightly less noisy machine isn't that important, I would strongly suggest the Arrow as well. Both are fantastic machines and are good for long typing sessions.

My 1947 Arrow:

and my 1950 Quite De Luxe

Of course you can't go wrong with ANY Olympia SM model. They are without question among the best portable typewriters ever produced. Earlier models (SM2, 3, and 4) had cushioned keys, which makes them very nice to type with. And their build is rock solid. If you don't care about a tabulator, an SM2 will fit the bill. For manually set tab stops you want the SM3. And for key set tab stops, the SM4.

My 1958 SM3:

And 1958 SM2:

The Hermes 3000 - there are three different generations of the machine - is also a great typewriter, but from experience, I also find them a pain to work on. Just the ribbon system alone, which serves to indicate where the margin stops are positioned, is a nightmare to repair.

From my '62 3000, just a fraction of the margin stop ribbon system:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-9-2014 19:19:18  #8

Uwe / Hermes 3000
When you say 'work on', you mean repair, not type with?
If so, I can understand.  That margin ribbon looks a nightmare- but luckily mine seem to be is excellent condition.  In fact, I only seem to see very well preserved versions of this (1960s / round) machine in Australia; perhaps it was built to keep going!

Sincerely,
beak.

30-9-2014 20:55:52  #9

A Royal QD, an early Olympia SM, or an Olivetti 22/32 is what I'm thinking of at the moment. I like the 1950s-sorta styling. 

01-10-2014 04:50:18  #10

Tom at Cambridge Typewriter says his go-to machine is a Lettera 22. I have a Studio 44 that I like to type on, but it -- along with the Olympias -- are uncomfortably heavy for toting around.

Board footera