You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-5-2022 17:46:23  #1

Erika Model 40 (Daro)...In-Coming

Have this 1977's Erika Model 40 (Daro) heading from the UK to our home here in the USA.

This machine was sold in the UK by the firm of W.H. Smith & Son's LTD in 1977.

Company still exists today after over 225 years.  They are know for creating the ISBN numbering systems for books.

I do not own an Erika yet and thought this later-made machine from the 1970's might be fun to give a go.  Probably not their best machinery so late in the typewriter world.

23-5-2022 17:57:52  #2

Re: Erika Model 40 (Daro)...In-Coming

Borrowing a photo off of the Internet, it sure looks like the workings of the under-carriage are pretty accessible for cleaning, etc.

23-5-2022 18:55:34  #3

Cool! I'm curious to see what you think of it, and how it compares with other machines.

The model 32 I just bought sounds more rattly/jangly than my other (all-metal) typewriters. The keys feel a little loose, but have a nice thunk at the bottom of the keystroke (which is why I bought it). Except for very occasionally, it kept up with me typing at full tilt. I am missing the tabulator, though... 

The key levers seen between the keys (as in your pic #2) remind me a lot of the movie Metropolis, and are fun to watch while typing. 

I've not had a chance to clean & adjust it, which may help a bit. If it grows on me enough to invest more time on, I might look at adding some rubber bushings & washers and upgrading the acoustic dampening to quiet it down a bit. 

24-5-2022 07:41:42  #4

It won't be here at home until the 2nd. week or so of June...but I am curious to see/feel how it types.

I have been in the habit of adding felt pads to the plastic machines to help change the tone of their typing.  Will plan to do the same with this one.

24-5-2022 14:25:57  #5

What felt do you typically use? 

24-5-2022 16:41:28  #6

I use peel & stick felt pads I get from eBay. Some vendors sell felt that is made in the USA.  

I got 2 differing thicknesses. Use the thicker stuff if I have the room. If ribbon spools and ribbon covers are tight, I cut out circles in the felt sheeting the size of the spools.

The stuff at my local Hobby Lobby was/is garbage made in China. If I rubbed my finger across that felt, fibers came off on my fingers.

07-6-2022 07:57:46  #7

My Erika Model 40 (Daro) came in a week early from the UK.

Based on the serial number, it is actually made in 1976 and not 1977.

Case is well built and study.  It has a neat lift-out panel that holds the machine in place and can be used with or without the left out panel when the machine is taken out of its case..

Typewriter just needed a thorough cleaning, servicing, light oiling, and a new ribbon.  Everything works and it needed no further adjustments.

Typewriter (without its case weight) is only 11.0 lbs. and is a light-weight.  Key-top levers and type-slug levers are a bit "jangly" and have a bit of side-to-side motion.  But I think that is just a result of its light-build qualities.

Only down-side is that the Erika Daro does not have any touch-control feature.  But its print-on-paper is clear, precise, and dark/sharp with the new ribbon.  Platen is 9.5" wide and it has a 100-character scale across the platen...so has a very small elite font of 12 cpi.

It does allow me to type fast.  And this one might just join the ranks of my "on-the-go" smaller and lighter machines for outdoor work.  Probably not a desktop machine since I have many of them that do a better job.

Overall, I am quiet pleased and somewhat surprised with my new Erika Model 40 (Daro).  Seems like it was well cared for and probably not heavily used.

07-6-2022 07:59:52  #8

p.s.  I did add felt to the underside of the ribbon cover and it did tone-down the plastic echo-chamber somewhat.

26-9-2022 12:44:58  #9

I spent a little time typing on my Erika 42 this weekend. The weather was fabulous, so I decided to sit out on the deck, with the typewriter sitting on a lapboard. In this slightly more precarious arrangement, I noticed that the keys have a lot of horizontal play, left to right; much more than I remember before (though I think of it as a loose typer anyway). 

Pete, do you find similar results with your Daro? 

Wondering if it's my machine, or inherent to the model line. Of course that makes me wonder if there's a way to improve it. I do really like the straight-down typing action. 

26-9-2022 17:58:58  #10

Hi Rob,

I use this one on my patio table on the porch and walk down to our Community park which has very sturdy metal-framed picnic tables set into concrete footings.

It does have some side-to-side motion...but I think that is the nature of weighing only 11 lbs.  But nothing like some Japanese machines I had in my hands for a bit until I gifted those away.

I do not do any lap-typing...but I think it works well on a sturdy table-top.

My Daro "light-weight" really has impressed me and has a place in my collection. 

I enjoy using it and walking to our park with the machine in its very sturdy case.  I use a velcro belt around it and use that fabric handle rather than the plastic handle on the case.

Board footera