You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-10-2022 11:58:55  #1

IBM Model D - Back Cover Removal...?

IBM Model D - Cover Removal...

Can anyone let me know how to get the tan/brown cover off the back of my IBM Model D (non-executive model).

I was watching some YouTube videos that showed a couple of screws that needed to be removed from the carriage ends...but this one has no visible screws.

And I do not see any screws to remove from a look at the bottom panel/pan, either.

Need to get in there to do more heavy duty cleaning on this machine...

18-10-2022 16:33:16  #2

Re: IBM Model D - Back Cover Removal...?

Bearing in mind that I haven't worked on one of these since the early 1980's, and that my memory might be playing tricks - I seem to remember that the rear cover is held by some sort of latch on each side.  Not unlike the latches that hold the top cover down on an IBM Selectric.  Hope this is of some help 

18-10-2022 17:28:15  #3

Re: IBM Model D - Back Cover Removal...?

Hi Tom,

You are right with your recollections...

I got a tip from 2 members in a Facebook Group as well.

You use a screwdriver shank that is a big and thick and place between the two silver tabs (in my red box in the photo) and turn the screwdriver down and towards you about a 90-degree rotation to unlock the latch on that side and then the same on the other side.  Then the metal cover slides nicely towards the back and off the machine.

I thought I cleaned the machine well enough...but with this last cover off, I have decades of gunk to still work on...

Board footera