You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-11-2022 00:32:53  #1

The Movement Is Spreading

Living in Eugene, OR means driving at least one hundred miles one-way to Portland or shipping a machine that needs extra TLC. Today after double boxing and carefully packing my Hermes 3000 I drove over to Fedex to send it off to Paul Lundy at Bremerton Office Company. As all 23.8 pounds of it sat on the scale the clerk was asking me to verify the contents were not hazardous. When I told her it was none of the choices listed and instead was a typewriter her next question to me was, “Oh, how many typewriters do you have?” I smiled behind my mask and said, “About ten.” The other clerk present asked her why she asked that and she said most folks with typewriters have more than one. Since there were no other customers at the time we had a bit of conversation. When I was later in the day telling a friend about the chat I couldn’t help but thinking; The Revolution will not be televised and Fedex is helping the movement spread!

04-11-2022 11:33:11  #2

Re: The Movement Is Spreading

Our regular Fed Exp drive knows well about the big, heavy boxes coming to our home.

He also know my "habit" of having the machine un-packed and on my work-bench by the next day if he drives by.  I will always show him what machine he brought just the day, before.

Found out he has a 15 year old daughter that was showing interest in getting a typewriter.  I gifted her (through him) a nice Olivetti-Underwood 21 with a case that I had cleaned, serviced, and repaired with another parts machine.  She typed a nice thank-you note a few days later.

That has been over a year or more, ago, and he tells me she is a maniac with typing notes and letters and even homework assignments.  She even does her "journaling" on the typewriter and places each page in a 3-ring binder.

Her Dad tells me she is unusual as kids go, now days.  She has no interests in a smart-phone and only uses a small flip-phone for emergencies and to keep in touch with her family,

04-11-2022 12:19:42  #3

Love those kind of stories. I get a lot of satisfaction out of gifting them to appreciative people, but I've had responses like: "huh, ah, a typewriter eh? hmmmm". But young people usually love'm.

- Be kind 

04-11-2022 18:48:26  #4

This was sort of the look on my 75 year old neighbors face when he came over to my garage to look over me working on what he thought might be my 20th. machine...but I told him...nope, it is machine No. 49... 

07-11-2022 01:21:44  #5

fountainpensplus wrote:

Living in Eugene, OR means driving at least one hundred miles one-way to Portland or shipping a machine that needs extra TLC. Today after double boxing and carefully packing my Hermes 3000 I drove over to Fedex to send it off to Paul Lundy at Bremerton Office Company. As all 23.8 pounds of it sat on the scale the clerk was asking me to verify the contents were not hazardous. When I told her it was none of the choices listed and instead was a typewriter her next question to me was, “Oh, how many typewriters do you have?” I smiled behind my mask and said, “About ten.” The other clerk present asked her why she asked that and she said most folks with typewriters have more than one. Since there were no other customers at the time we had a bit of conversation. When I was later in the day telling a friend about the chat I couldn’t help but thinking; The Revolution will not be televised and Fedex is helping the movement spread!

I'm about 40 miles north of you.    Do you know of any good sources for typewriters in our area?  I know of one that sells in an antique mall in Canby, but that's a little far to travel.  Eugene or Salem would be more convenient.  Don't worry - I'm not out to compete with other typewriter enthusiasts in the area.  I'm really only looking for one machine at the moment, and a fairly ordinary one at that (Royal KHM).

07-11-2022 01:47:59  #6

I bought my first Olympia, an SM4 from the folks in Canby. I know of some folks that used to sell at an antique mall in Springfield. They had a large Royal about a year ago that seemed to have sold quick. I can ask if they have a KHM. I only browse Craigslist so probably miss what's on offer locally. I'm trying to pretend I'm not looking for another typewriter but... 

07-11-2022 01:59:40  #7

Well, thanks for the info.  I guess Craigslist is the most practical avenue.  I'm not really in a rush - it's mainly for nostalgia, as the KHM was the first typewriter I ever touched (50-odd years ago), belonging to my grandmother who bought hers new.

I know what you mean about pretending not to look for another typewriter.  Sometimes they just call to us, though... 

07-11-2022 02:11:40  #8

My pocket/clip knife of choice has been a Benchmade made here in Oregon. One day a number of years ago my eldest son asked me how many Benchmade knives I needed to have. I had to tell him that I didn't know yet. Arthritic hands finally convinced me I had way more fountain pens than were needed. Typing is much easier than handwriting and some machines just want me to write with them. There's a KHM somewhere with your name on it

07-11-2022 08:02:10  #10

Board footera