You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-11-2022 20:50:55  #1

Olivetti Lettera 36

Olivetti Lettera 36 Portable Electric :  Did some searching here on the Forum for any info. and opinions regarding the Olivetti Lettera 36 portable electric, but did not find much/any info. 

I found this article on-line which has some detailed info.

I particularly like the author's analogy of the typewriter to the "Mullet" hair-do which was popular in some circles in the not-to-distant past :

If you'll excuse the metaphor, the Lettera 36 is like the description of a mullet :  Business in the front, party in the back "

I do wish the Author spent more time in his article discussing the pros/cons of the performance and use of the machine.

Do any of our Forum members have one of these machines ?   Or had one in the past.  If so, please post your impressions & opinions of the Lettera 36.  I would like to get some feed-back before jumping down this rabbit-hole.

Author's full article at this link :

https://www.massmadesoul.com/olivetti-lettera-36

And one of his photos of the machine...

14-11-2022 11:49:09  #2

Re: Olivetti Lettera 36

I have one although I haven't used it in many years. I vaguely remember that it required minor repairs to restore its operation, but don't remember enough about typing with it to comment on its performance. Being an Olivetti, I can state that I solely bought it for the beauty of its design. Looking at my photos, it has an equally intriguing travel case, which was manufactured in the Soviet-controlled part of Germany.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-11-2022 13:01:16  #3

Thanks Uwe,

I did find an Italian-languaged YouTube video and they had a graphic showing the evolution of the "36" from prototype through 3 production versions (I think your machine is version 3) and a final "36 C" which seemed to have an additional key-top added to the right of the space bar...which I surmise might have been a "vertical spacer" function.

Video clip link here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvYaymhyJ58

14-11-2022 13:34:44  #4

After some more digging, the Lettera 36C is the "Correction" version of the 36 machine...taking the Black ribbon/correction-tape instead of a bi-color ribbon.

15-11-2022 12:05:53  #5

Well...I think I have the crisis (passion) averted.

I spent the day yesterday typing out some letters on my Citizen S4-U and after those, my "fever" broke and I came back to my senses. 

I had not typed on a machine for a couple of weeks while my hands rested and heeled after the pre-Winter pruning chores around our home that took its toll on muscles and joints in my hands.

I think I really do not "need" an Olivetti Lettera 36, after all. 

But if the fever does come back...maybe some blue and red paint on the Citizen will take care of that once and for all.

15-11-2022 13:48:45  #6

I almost never use any of my electric typewriters, and only buy them to either appreciate their design or to complete a model range that includes manual versions. It might sound weird, but using a typewriter is something I like to do unplugged and the sound of a motor constantly humming is not only distracting, it also feels like an added pressure to keep typing.  I think the 36 (III) is a gorgeous machine, and representative of what was always an Olivetti strength. As for actually using a typewriter, there are many models I would reach for before using any of my manual Olivettis...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-11-2022 08:49:25  #7

I seem to use my 100% electric machines for final/production of a letter or document that I have rough-drafted on one of my manual machines and penciled in corrections, deletions, and adds, etc.

Once I get on a 100% electric, it is just a production-chore to get the final/last version done.

What stresses me out on the 100% electric machines is when I press "return" and the power-return seems to make the machine jump 1/2" off the table top and then it comes crashing to the end of the return travel of the carriage with a not-so-soft landing.  I then start to think more about what might break on the next return cycle and less on my typing.

Therefore my two electric machines with their manual CR levers are my favourites to use.  I have two of them...a S-C 5TE and an Olympia SEP that both have a manual CR lever feature.

17-11-2022 14:42:57  #8

Pete E. wrote:

What stresses me out on the 100% electric machines is when I press "return" and the power-return seems to make the machine jump 1/2" off the table top and then it comes crashing to the end of the return travel of the carriage with a not-so-soft landing.  I then start to think more about what might break on the next return cycle and less on my typing.

And that's just with a portable. On some of my electric standards - particularly wider carriage models - that impact seems to rival a pile driver smashing through the ground at a construction site. It's definitely unnerving.

07-2-2023 14:08:24  #9

Well I sprang for a decent Olivetti Lettera 36 with its case.  Only $ 20 USD plus the same for S&H via a SGW auction this week.

It is an earlier variation with the round shaped key-tops.  Still has original Olivetti spools and spool nuts.  And I think the case will clean & polish up, nicely.

Will report more after it is home and cleaned & serviced.

Suspect it might be part of my "catch & release" program...but was curious to get one in my hands for the experience.

07-2-2023 14:13:43  #10

Cool! It uses Cooper Black for the font on the key caps. Very fun. 

Board footera