You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-11-2022 08:03:38  #1

Smith Corona Silent, stud from the paper feed came off.

The stud under the right side of the paper feed of my Smith Corona Silent, came off. Everything seems to be working, but should I replace it with something? Is it going to cause any problems? It seems to be some sort of guide for attaching it on the carriage bed. Should I be worried?

Rock hard, ride free!

11-11-2022 18:47:22  #2

Re: Smith Corona Silent, stud from the paper feed came off.

There is usually at least one screw in either of the studs to hold it down to the carriage. If the whole stud itself broke off you may want to look for another feed tray.

12-11-2022 03:18:27  #3

I found at Xavier's a PDF of Ames' on Corona Portables. There in one of its pages it seems like a simple stud used for properly positioning the tray on the carriage without any screws. It seems like having no other use since all works fine without it. But I will get another tray, just to have it perfect (and in case I am missing something not that obvious).

Rock hard, ride free!

12-11-2022 16:20:12  #4

13-11-2022 20:46:05  #5

If you can find the threaded stud that came off, you could use some JB Weld and put it right back on. This is not a stressed part, but needs to be able to move vertically in the slot in the carriage to allow the paper feed to release.
Phil Forrest

14-11-2022 05:45:15  #6

Thanks Phil! That's what I did. I didn't find that stud, but used something similar, screwed it in there and glued it with JB Weld. I will get another plate anyway among other parts for other typewriters of mine.Another question here instead of opening a new thread. I would like to remove the rack at the back with the two margin stops. How can I do that? removing the two screws at the edges seems not to be enough.

Rock hard, ride free!

Board footera