You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-11-2022 17:01:14  #1

A Typer Of A Different Sort...

I fondly remember these great Dymo label making embossers from the 1960's and 1970's.

Had one in a drawer in my Craftsman rolling tool box/cart for years and years.  Not sure when I let mine go.

Now having close to 50 typewriters and their cases...figured it was time to ID each pair...so my survivors might be able to easily put a pair back together at some time in the future.

I picked this one up on eBay for a song.  It has 3 different embossing wheels for letter size and style. 

This is the Model 1570 which is mostly made of chromed metal and a few plastic parts.  There was a Model 1540 which I think was made of black plastic.

I have embossing tape coming this week and I think I will use red tape to make the labels for each typewriter case and machine.  Figured red, embossed labels would have a neat vintage look to them and the peel & stick adhesive on the plastic tape seems to stay in place forever.

Some of my machines from the 1950's and 1960's still have their owner-name labels securely in place.  Hope the adhesive on the modern-day embossing tape is still as good.

20-11-2022 17:33:35  #2

Re: A Typer Of A Different Sort...

It even looks like Smith-Corona was going after this "Dymo" look in the past...

21-11-2022 11:00:37  #3

Pete, in my recent experiences with my Dymo labeler (black plastic handle) the adhesive is very sticky and capable of removing paint. It’s also great for labeling all the many cables one can have for electronic gear.What a great tool! George

23-11-2022 13:31:30  #4

Hi George,

There is a lot of embossing tape made-in-China on the web for sale.

But I have been lucky to find enough NOS inventory on eBay that is made in the USA or in Belgium...back in the day.  I think I have enough to last my lifetime, now.

My label maker must have been very lightly used.  The cutter blade is very sharp and the special cut on the end of each label makes removing the backing plastic so easy.

While I went to college, I worked full time as an electrician/apprentice for 4 years.  I think I have made about a million of these labels in my previous life.  We used to tag each outlet and light switch cover plate with a label to indicate Panel No. and circuit breaker number.  Used black tape for normal power and red tape for power on a generator service.

Using this tool now, after so many years, brings back fond memories of my mentors in that field and then I remember all of those fellows have more recently passed away.  I am a better person for having had worked with them.

23-11-2022 13:54:17  #5

eBay is where I found my supply also. Who ever engineered this tool did a great job. More than once I've considered buying one of the newer label making devices but so far nothing has met my needs. We used to place labels on the heavy construction equipment. As long as the surface was clean and oil free it even survived that environment.

24-11-2022 18:02:22  #6

Ah, another collectible item.   I believe I have enough embossing tape to last a while.  My favorite is the fake woodgrain.

24-11-2022 18:30:32  #7

OregonJim wrote:

Ah, another collectible item.   I believe I have enough embossing tape to last a while.  My favorite is the fake woodgrain.

You may have enough unless a mass labeling project comes up and then all bets are off. 
Besides as a friend recently pointed out, what's the point in having a hobby where you only have one!

25-11-2022 00:07:42  #8

Jim is ready for a post-apocalyptic re-labelling! Fantastic!

Actually, you all may be able to give me some advice: A month or so ago, I bought a Dymo M-5 Typewriter (Dymo Tapewriter M-5 Raised Letter Label Maker All Metal Vintage | eBay). I thought a nice, vintage, metal tool would be good; however, it doesn't seem to fit the cartridges I can find nowadays (like the ones in the top left bin of Jim's photo). Any advice on these or where to get cartridges that would fit? 

I've tried feeding in the tape from the cartridges that I do have, and it will print on them; it's just that they're too wide to fit the handle. 

Also: My dim memories of my Dad's dymo (like this one: Vintage DYMO Yellow Tapewriter Embossing Label Maker 1/4" Size with Brown Tape | eBay) say that there was a way to cut the end such that there was a little tab on the tape that made it easy to peel the backing off. Is there a way to do the same on the M-5?

25-11-2022 13:18:29  #9

robmck wrote:

Jim is ready for a post-apocalyptic re-labelling! Fantastic!

Actually, you all may be able to give me some advice: A month or so ago, I bought a Dymo M-5 Typewriter (Dymo Tapewriter M-5 Raised Letter Label Maker All Metal Vintage | eBay). I thought a nice, vintage, metal tool would be good; however, it doesn't seem to fit the cartridges I can find nowadays (like the ones in the top left bin of Jim's photo). Any advice on these or where to get cartridges that would fit? 

I've tried feeding in the tape from the cartridges that I do have, and it will print on them; it's just that they're too wide to fit the handle. 

Also: My dim memories of my Dad's dymo (like this one: Vintage DYMO Yellow Tapewriter Embossing Label Maker 1/4" Size with Brown Tape | eBay) say that there was a way to cut the end such that there was a little tab on the tape that made it easy to peel the backing off. Is there a way to do the same on the M-5?

The tape reels come in 1/4" and 3/8" sizes.  It sounds like your machine is set for 1/4" and you're trying to feed it 3/8" tape.  Some of the label makers have a switch/lever to switch between the two sizes.  Others are one size only.

The little tab on the end is made by the label maker itself.  One of the positions on the wheel is the "cut" function - it may look like a pair of scissors on the wheel.  Some label makers create that tab when you use the cut position, while others just snip the tape without the tab.

Hope that helps.  Now, get that thing ready for the Christmas season.  Just think - no more hand-written tags!  

25-11-2022 14:16:12  #10

For my 1570 Dymo, it can feed either 3/8" wide tape or 1/2" wide tape.  The feed "mouth" for the tape has 2 different slots, one on top of the other.

The easy-peel tab is made automatically when I press the cut-lever along the underside of the 1570.  The cutter both cuts the tape and leaves the easy-peel tab at the same end...just about 1/8" away from the cut end.

Board footera