You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-12-2022 10:54:19  #1

1976 Hermes Baby plastic body removal?

Aloha everyone.

I recently got a free non-working 1976 Hermes Baby on Ebay (long story). Key's are jammed. The plastic body seals off the working innards. Online searches have not come up with any advice on how to take the typewriter out of the plastic body. It appears to be able to slide out the back once the back panel is off and screws removed, but. . . not so.

Does anyone have experience with this or can give me tips or point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much for your kind help.

10-12-2022 14:36:03  #2

Re: 1976 Hermes Baby plastic body removal?

Kalani,

Is your machine one of those made in Brazil ?

It would help if you show full photos of the side, back and bottom of the machine.

10-12-2022 14:36:59  #3

Also...a photo from the top with the ribbon cover removed from the machine.

10-12-2022 16:31:31  #4

Kalani wrote:

snip ....  any advice on how to take the typewriter out of the plastic body. It appears to be able to slide out the back once the back panel is off and screws removed, but. . . not so ..... snip

That's the way mine came apart, like a foot in a shoe. I don't remember any particular hassle in getting it out beyond the usual fussy maneuvering.

10-12-2022 16:46:07  #5

Thanks for you help.
Here are the pictures.

10-12-2022 16:49:29  #6

Here is a link to a dropbox short video clip of how the keys are jammed. I'm not sure why. It came that way.
Here is a link to the video of the keys that are all stuck.
on dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7yr4i79357y0bu/IMG_5381.MOV?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7yr4i79357y0bu/IMG_5381.MOV?dl=0

10-12-2022 17:56:35  #7

1.  It looks like you need to lift the rear of the metal frame/chassis up & out to clear those 3 plastic tabs I have circled in blue in your photo, below.  I would pull it up & out by the bottom metal framing and not by grabbing onto the carriage, etc.

2.  Your keys might be gummed up in the segment from too much past use of WD-40.  Clean with a plastic-safe solvent and use compressed air to blow out the gunk while it becomes liguified by the solvent.  This may need 3-4-5 times until you get it all clean.  If WD-40 was used,  you will need to clean all the moving mechanism and then apply a good light oil on the escapement and bearing trays,

Reason I asked about being Made-In-Brazil...as my 1968 Baby is still made in Switzerland and comes apart quite differently.

11-12-2022 11:57:50  #8

Had to cut the rear tabs as there was no way to lift and pull back unless the side walls were so spread out as to break the plastic, also had to clear the plastic tabs on the side panels.
all of the linkage was binding on this assembly, solid gunk and funky stuff, tried brake cleaner solvent, then electronic solvent, then "Crud Cutter" along with compressed air, etc, and its finally working a bit. Still not fully operative but getting there.

11-12-2022 12:27:41  #9

Kalani,

If you find that the chassis moves a bit too much inside the plastic case once it is back in place (especially if the space-bar makes contact with the front of the frame...), you could consider using some narrow strips of wood in place of the plastic tabs and hold the wood in place with some 2-part epoxy glue.

If your machine is noisy inside the plastic case, this might also be the time to add some peel & stick felt padding along the interior of the bottom panel of the plastic case.  I have done this on my Hermes Baby and my Olmpia SF and Traveller typewriters, and the felt padding does help change of tone of the typing noise.  Less clack-a-tee sounding and more muted and woody sounding.

11-12-2022 19:02:31  #10

Good tips.
Will do.

Thanks for the help.
k

Pete E. wrote:

Kalani,

If you find that the chassis moves a bit too much inside the plastic case once it is back in place (especially if the space-bar makes contact with the front of the frame...), you could consider using some narrow strips of wood in place of the plastic tabs and hold the wood in place with some 2-part epoxy glue.

If your machine is noisy inside the plastic case, this might also be the time to add some peel & stick felt padding along the interior of the bottom panel of the plastic case.  I have done this on my Hermes Baby and my Olmpia SF and Traveller typewriters, and the felt padding does help change of tone of the typing noise.  Less clack-a-tee sounding and more muted and woody sounding.

Board footera