You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-1-2021 20:11:46  #11

Re: Olympia SG1 - Question...

Works like a charm...!!!

31-1-2021 16:16:20  #12

Got a nice plastic paper support in the mail for my SG1.

I love how it has "aged" to a nice amber-ish color over time.

I decided to mount it backwards on my machine so it will lay flat on the metal paper tray when not in use.  I have a 20 lbs. cat in my home that would more than likely crack the plastic...if I installed it properly since it hovers in mid-air for about 1/2" in the rest position.

The scale on the measuring, telescopic rule is backwards from the typist's view...but that is okay with me...

01-2-2021 20:36:25  #13

Here is what this beast looked like before I started on her :

18-8-2022 12:22:08  #14

Pete E, I started an account here just to thank you for this post. I recently had an Olympia SG1 shipped to me via FedEx, but it was poorly packaged and arrived damaged. I managed to fix most of the issues due to shipping, but still had your problem above. The image of the escapement and the 'backwards seven' made all the difference. The machine works like a dream now. Thank you.

18-8-2022 12:25:21  #15

Pete E, I started an account here just to thank you for this post. I recently had an Olympia SG1 shipped to me via FedEx, but it was poorly packaged and arrived damaged. I managed to fix most of the issues due to shipping, but still had your problem above. The image of the escapement and the 'backwards seven' made all the difference. The machine works like a dream now. Thank you.

18-8-2022 14:57:58  #16

Congratulations, Pete!

How's the typing feel on it? The only one I've ever tried felt a tad loose, but may have just been a heavily used sample. 

Where'd you get the paper support? I'd passed on an SG1 that was missing this (and the paper injector); wondering if I chose poorly.

18-8-2022 16:59:36  #17

Hi LP,

Glad my past posting was of help to you.  That Olympia SG1 FaceBook group is another good resource.  Lots of info. and tips from those folks.

Hi Rob,

My SG1 is very tight as is my Olympia SM3.  Between the SG1 and my Facit T2, I like the Facit just a bit more...it's typing action is a bit lighter and does not quite tire me out on long spells of typing as happens with my SG1...even with its touch control set to a lighter touch.

I actually found 2 SG1 paper supports...one for my SG1 on the FB Group and one on eBay that I got for an eventual SG3...which I decided to skip and not acquire so passed that support to one of our members from Eugene OR.  Both set me back about $ 40-45 each.

11-12-2022 09:23:06  #18

This SG1 is on Craigslist for Seattle WA.

Looks like some light coloured keys as replacements...maybe from an Underwood...???

11-12-2022 23:14:00  #19

Yeah, that one's been on CL for several months now. I tried contacting the seller, but never got a response. Here's another that's been on for an equal amount of time: Olympia Typewriter - collectibles - by owner - sale (craigslist.org).

14-12-2022 18:14:50  #20

I like playing with bits of colour, etc...but I am not sure all those white/cream key-tops work for me.

Plus someone lost the spring-assist features of the SG1 key-tops. 

And then 3 of the new-key-tops along the right side are blank so you would have to memorize what those 6 type characters are all the time.

Board footera