You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-12-2022 14:55:55  #1

Mystery Typewriter in locked case - who bought it

An auction closed a few days ago for a locked typewriter case on SGW and I'm dying to know what typewriter was in it. If it was one of you folks, the suspense is killing me. Tan fiberglass case, maybe S.C. or QDL. I think it went for about $35 but if the case had been a recognizable Olympia or Hermes things would have been even more interesting. 

- Be kind 

15-12-2022 15:34:48  #2

Re: Mystery Typewriter in locked case - who bought it

Most travel cases are brand-specific and as a result a manufacturer should be able to be identified. Can you post a photo or link of the travel case in question?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-12-2022 15:52:49  #3

It looked like a standard S-C "Holiday" case...in nice condition.

I was going to ask for more photos...but my "honey-do" list kept me busy.

I too wondered who would bid without even a peek in side.

15-12-2022 17:34:41  #4

Uwe wrote:

Most travel cases are brand-specific and as a result a manufacturer should be able to be identified. Can you post a photo or link of the travel case in question?

I tried to recall if from ended auctions but could not, and I had deleted my expired watched items. If there is a way to view closed auctions, it's within the last 5 days and shows only the tan case in the photo. Had 4 or 5 bids.

- Be kind 

15-12-2022 17:41:56  #5

Uwe wrote:

I think the hope would be that it were something like a pink or blue SC silent super, but oddsagainst it. If S.C. it was the early tan fiberglass(?) case instead of the slightly patterned later ones. The gambler in me would have bid at a low entry price just for the fun of it. Pretty easy to pick those case locks. 

- Be kind 

15-12-2022 18:03:29  #6

Many years ago I placed the only (very low) e-bay bid on a typewriter in a locked case.  The owner couldn't remember what make it was.  One of my party pieces is identifying portable typewriters from their carry cases.  I am not infallible, but usually get it right.  Well, I was right in this particular instance.  When I got the case open it was...... drum roll....... A Hermes 3000 ! 

15-12-2022 18:18:01  #7

thetypewriterman wrote:

Many years ago I placed the only (very low) e-bay bid on a typewriter in a locked case.  The owner couldn't remember what make it was.  One of my party pieces is identifying portable typewriters from their carry cases.  I am not infallible, but usually get it right.  Well, I was right in this particular instance.  When I got the case open it was...... drum roll....... A Hermes 3000 ! 

Whoa, that's what I'm talk'n about! You must have been over the moon.

- Be kind 

15-12-2022 19:18:42  #8

Here is the closed-auction.

Someone wanted it for $ 66 USD.  12 bids and not one of them mine...

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/156306170

16-12-2022 00:48:17  #9

That is definitely a Smith Corona "Holiday" case.

16-12-2022 21:36:13  #10

Actual weight: 4 lbs

I hope someone is happy with their new empty case for over $80 with S&H

Board footera