You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-12-2022 09:55:19  #1

The letter "a" uneven on three of my typewriters...Solutions?

I think this is a common problem and I have seen videos of Dwane Jenson fixing this with a special tool that adjusts typebars that is very rare and would be expensive to buy.  The typewriters in question are very good performers: The SCM Classic, the SCM Galaxie 12 and a Remington Quiet-Riter.  The typebars have to be reformed a tiny fraction in order for it to be even. The Classic also has an "e" key that drops a little too so that if I type the word "weary" it comes out a bit wavey. I could live with it and just accept that it is a characteristic of their uniqueness.  Or is there another tool or way of bending the typebars? I have tried it with small pliers, and nothing moved.  Any thoughts?

18-12-2022 13:15:58  #2

Re: The letter "a" uneven on three of my typewriters...Solutions?

Typebar alignment is like adjusting camber, caster, and toe-in on a car, changing one affects one or both of the others.
You can very gently bend (almost imperceptibly) to affect the angle of the letter, but since the A key is so far left, that bend is going to affect the vertical position as well, so you'd have to compensate by just giving the long stem  of the typebar a little flex in the direction to move the letter. You may want to try this out on a machine that you don't care as much for. Regarding your E key, it sounds like it's worn at the pivot point. More correctly, the heavy pivot wire has a groove in it most likely since the typebars are made of harder steel. You can adjust this by moving the wire about the width of one typebar in the segment but beware, you may find that all your type is out of alignment once this is done.
Regardless, don't fret, just have fun.

Board footera