You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-12-2022 20:55:50  #1

Olympia SM9 (question)

So I stopped at the local thrift store today.  My only mission was to find a pair of candle holders for the wife.  Before I could get past the front counter, I noticed a familiar looking suitcase in the glass case behind the counter.  It turned out to be a pristine Olympia SM9.  If it weren't for a few telltale signs of White-Out, I would have sworn it was never used.  I looked underneath - no dust, no grime, no excess oil, all metal parts and screws were as shiny as the day they were made.  Congress Elite typeface, made in 1972, the case also spotless.  To top it off, today is orange-tag day (that color is 50% off), and it had an orange tag.  Added to the 55+ discount, I walked out the door with it for $13.50 (US).

My question:  It says "De Luxe" on the type basket.  I don't recall seeing that on other SM9s.  Is there such a thing as an SM9 De Luxe?  If so, how does it differ from a regular SM9?

(P.S. - I completely forgot about the candle holders )

14-12-2022 21:46:55  #2

Re: Olympia SM9 (question)

Well played!

14-12-2022 23:56:55  #3

Export model for the US market. No difference. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

15-12-2022 01:35:23  #4

Maschinengeschrieben wrote:

Export model for the US market. No difference. 

Ah, that makes sense.  Thank you!

18-12-2022 16:03:22  #5

I have an Olympia with an Italic Font that also reads "De Luxe" on the basket.

Great find and what a price!
Christmas present to yourself!
Congratulations!

jim

18-12-2022 19:52:11  #6

Kalani wrote:

I have an Olympia with an Italic Font that also reads "De Luxe" on the basket.

Great find and what a price!
Christmas present to yourself!
Congratulations!

jim

Thanks, Jim.

Today I got a nice little 1965 Royal Custom.  Nothing remarkable, until I popped the ribbon cover:

Those are the original Royal "Twin Pak" cartridges.  The ribbon is dry, of course, but seems to have been little used.  I may try rejuvenating it, just for fun.  

19-12-2022 08:40:20  #7

For some of the Olympia models, the "Deluxe" may indicate an addition of some features.

For example, the ultra-portable Traveller came in a version just tagged as "Traveller" while the enhanced ones with the addition of 2-color ribbon and touch-control was tagged as "Traveller Deluxe".

20-12-2022 13:19:03  #8

Both of my SM9's say Deluxe. In fact most of the one's I've looked at say that. But I haven't looked at a lot

26-12-2022 14:19:38  #9

This Olympia SM9, in mint condition and restored, doesn't have "Deluxe" anywhere on it. But, I have another Olympia with "Deluxe" on the basket plate, font is italic. So, I'm not sure what "Deluxe" designates.

26-12-2022 19:49:16  #10

My 1968 Olympia SM9 has "DeLuxe" on the segment plate, as well.  Found this only 12 miles away from my home with the original owner who bought it when she was a young girl in high school,

Photo of the SM9...looking very small next to my electric Olympia SGE-A62 which is a variation of an SGE-50 but modified for student/teaching use.  The beast weighs in at 52.3 lbs. compared with only 15.9 lbs. for the SM9.

Board footera