You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-10-2014 22:11:58  #1

Possible Switch from Portable to Electric--Suggestions?

Hi. I'm new here and wasn't sure which thread this would fit under, electric or portable, so I put it here.

I own two portable typewriters, a 1930s Royal Model O and a 1940s Royal Quiet Deluxe. I initially picked them up because I liked the vintage feel, and then quickly became addicted to how suddenly focused I was on the work. No, checking email or sports scores or any other absentminded forays to the internet...

The problem I have is that these machines are a little noisy, at least by today’s standard, and my roommates don't find them nearly as endearing or useful as I do. Personally I like the clacking, but the machines themselves are heavy enough to shake and rumble on the desk once I really get typing, and I can see how this cacophony might get annoying, especially at night.

For this reason I’ve thought about switching to an electric, but have no idea what kind, or if this will even solve my problem. There are no stores around me with display models, which is probably not unusual anymore, but in my head I’m picturing a machine with a softer, computer-like keyboard. I’ve heard once they’re running they put out a hum. Is there anyone who has made the switch or used both and could offer me advice? Or if there are other, possibly quieter portable models I should know about, that would be welcome information too.

Thanks for your help! 

02-10-2014 22:20:21  #2

Re: Possible Switch from Portable to Electric--Suggestions?

If anything, electrics are much louder and heavier. If you want something quiet I recommend a Remington Noiseless model, those are pretty good. I have limited experience with electrics, so I can't exactly recommend any. Most are heavy and loud, I can tell you that. 

03-10-2014 07:59:28  #3

rufio275 wrote:

Hi. I'm new here and wasn't sure which thread this would fit under, electric or portable, so I put it here.
For this reason I’ve thought about switching to an electric, but have no idea what kind, or if this will even solve my problem. There are no stores around me with display models, which is probably not unusual anymore, but in my head I’m picturing a machine with a softer, computer-like keyboard. I’ve heard once they’re running they put out a hum. Is there anyone who has made the switch or used both and could offer me advice? Or if there are other, possibly quieter portable models I should know about, that would be welcome information too.

Thanks for your help! 

First we have to distinguish between "electric" and "electronic". It's not "electric or portable"---portables can be manual, electric, or electronic; so can office-size typewriters.

"Electric" typewriters are pretty much regular mechanical typewriters with an electric motor powering the action of the typebars and carriage. They are heavier and at least as noisy as manual typewriters. Their advantages over manuals are producing a more consistent type image and requiring less finger force to operate. Most of these use fabric ribbons but many others accept carbon ribbons. Selectric and similar typeball machines are included here.

"Electronic" typewriters are completely different. They are basically computers controlling a daisywheel (usually) or thermal (sometimes) printhead and they have very few mechanical parts to make noise and their lightweight printheads do not impact the paper so hard. The thermal heads do not impact at all and are nearly silent. Most electronics use carbon ribbons and produce a beautiful, crisp type image. This is probably the kind you are looking for. Two things to look out for: Be sure to get a manual with it. It is practically impossible to figure out all the controls and options without a manual. Second, try it out before you buy. Some of them have a considerable delay between hitting a key and printing and this can make it very hard to get a rhythm going. Research reviews and forums.

Hope this helps! Have Fun!

03-10-2014 11:55:02  #4

My first choice would be to try and reduce the noise of your current machine. You own a pair of lovely typewriters and I think moving from them to an electronic machine would be a big disappoint - even if it solved the noise issue.

You described the machine shaking and rumbling the desk. That is not normal. Make sure the machine is perfectly level (rubber feet deteriorate and it's not uncommon for them to be uneven and cause a machine to wobble a little during use). Place your machine a thick piece of felt or a heavy rubber pad to absorb the vibration that is resonating through the desk. Try to muffle the type sound a little by loading two or three pages into the machine at the same time. Conversely, if you buy some rubber/platen rejuvinator it will soften the platen a little and change the frequency of the type sound. Every little bit helps. 

More ideas: Have you adjusted the touch control? Putting it on the lightest setting will make it easier to type and you'll use less force - which could also result in less impact noise. What about your work space? Can you arrange things so that more sound from the machine is absorbed? For example, typing next to soft material will help to muffle more noise than typing next to a hard surface.

None of these things - at least not on their own - will produce a dramatic change, but combined they might make a difference and cause your machines to be less of an annoyance to those you live with. And if all else fails, I would - as JustAnotherGuy suggested - try a Remington Noiseless. They are quieter machines and produce more of a dull thump than the dry whack of a regular machine.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-10-2014 10:34:02  #5

Thanks for everyone's ideas and for differentiating between electric and electronic. I think electronic is what I had been envisioning.

I do love the two machines I have, and have tried adjusting the touch control, which made a little difference but not much. The rubber feet haven't deteriorated to the point that one foot is uneven with another, but their ability to grip the desk is pretty much gone, which causes them to migrate as I type, probably contributing to the rumbling sound. I have not tried a rubber pad underneath, nor have I tried the platen rejuvenator to decrease the noise of the printheads. This week I will try both.

In the meantime I'm also going to try to locate a place to try an electronic typewriter and see if the delay between keystroke and printing isn't enough to mess up my rhythm. I am afraid the switch will be a bit disappointing, so hopefully I can reduce the sound enough on my current machines, or, the opportunity arises, try out a Remington Noiseless.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again!

Board footera