You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-12-2022 16:13:44  #1

S-C Electra 120 ... In-Coming

Last night I scored a nice S-C Electra 120 (with manual CR lever and carriage controls) for my Bid of $ 14 USD at Shop Goodwill. 

It is case-less...but it will be gifted to a local friend. 

All in with S/H...I am at $ 26 for this 1960's Series 6 machine...and the "1" key-top might even hold a nice surprise.

After my experience with getting my S-C 5TE back to 100%, I thought it would be fun to mess around with a Series 6 electric...just for some experience.

21-12-2022 16:31:40  #2

Re: S-C Electra 120 ... In-Coming

NTD (New Typewriter Day) at our place.

Fresh out of the shipping box and warming up in my hobby room.

Serial number makes it a 1966-made machine.

The number "1" key-top did turn out to announce it is a cursive-script typewriter.

It has over-sized (i.e. tall) capital letters...so this one only takes a 1-color ribbon.  Ribbon selector only has a "Print" and a "Stencil" setting.  I thought it might be so when I saw the photo did not show a red color indicator on the rotary selector switch.  Metal factory spools still on the machine.  Hurray !

The Fed Exp. truck (and the driver) were very cold, so I will not plug this one in until tomorrow some time.  Today our high managed to get into the 20* F's for the day.

This machine may be recently been serviced, as it has a almost new pair of small v-belts in place that are supple and in great shape.

21-12-2022 18:25:07  #3

Are there any production number stickers on the underside of the machine? 

I wonder how many people think to allow items shipped during the winter to acclimatize slowly when brought inside? Anything electric, electronic, or other items that could be damaged by condensation (cameras/lenses) I leave in the box for many hours and then unpacked for many more hours after that. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-12-2022 18:59:37  #4

Hi Uwe,

Sorry no number stickers on the bottom panel at all.  SN stamped in the metal of the framing with a little "window" cut out in the sheet metal to expose that.

Your right about boxes coming in during cold times.  This box spent the night in my garage...which I keep with an HVAC vent to 55* F. during the winter.  Then a day in my home once out of the box.  Will not power it up until late Thursday or so.

I do the same during our summers when we have many days at 100* F. and higher and the shipping truck's interiors probably another 20-30 * F. on top of that.

I got into this habit with CF Martin Co. acoustic guitars.  Box in our home for a day, guitar still in its case but out of the box and packing for the next day, and finally on the last day just out au-natural without any string tensioning or playing time.  3-day process and never got wood and/or lacquer cracks in the process.

22-12-2022 15:08:51  #5

Did a short functional check-out today.

In one word...I would describe this electric as "energetic"...really fast type-strikes, can go much faster than I can ever type,  Solid little machine and quite precise.  And nice and quiet.

And I love that it has a manual CR lever and other manual controls of the carriage.  No power-return that seem to make machines jump up, vertically, off your typing desk.

Only "issue" I will have to sort out is that the "normal" space bar sometimes does not pop back up after it is pressed.  The 1/2 space bar and the power space bar both work perfectly.

Hopefully the normal space bar will right itself with a little cleaning on my part. 

I have a solid blue ribbon on order, as well.

With 2 other cursive-script machines in my collection...I was hoping this one was not cursive...but so be it.

22-12-2022 18:54:49  #6

I also love how the 2 vinyl pads on each side of the CR lever are colour-coordinated with the same bluish color of the body cowlings.

26-12-2022 10:11:51  #7

Was curious to get the "all electric" version of the Electra 120 in my hands...so put in a bid on SGW for $ 7.99 and won this Electra 220 (Automatic) a few days ago.

All-in with S/H costs...it set me back $ 28 USD.  Comes with a very nice case and even its key.  No broken handle.

Should have it in a week or so.

26-12-2022 14:49:32  #8

If it's anything like mine, you'll be afraid to touch that "Power Return" key.  It's like launching a missile...sideways.... 

26-12-2022 15:49:18  #9

Jim,

As I understood from one of Phoenix Typewriters' You-Tube videos, the  Electra 210/220 got a motor with 2 "stages" of windings.  Normal motor for spinning the power roller.  And another stage for the power return mechanism to make it lighting fast by design. You can hear the increase in motor RPM for that in the video.

One of the reasons was wanted to snatch one up and play & learn from it.

I will probably keep this 220 case and pair it with my 210 which is case-less.  I will then, after a full service, gift the 220 away.

My Dymo label maker can make a neat Electra 120 label to cover the "220" label presently on the case.

26-12-2022 22:57:41  #10

Pete E. wrote:

Jim,

As I understood from one of Phoenix Typewriters' You-Tube videos, the  Electra 210/220 got a motor with 2 "stages" of windings.  Normal motor for spinning the power roller.  And another stage for the power return mechanism to make it lighting fast by design. You can hear the increase in motor RPM for that in the video.

One of the reasons was wanted to snatch one up and play & learn from it.

I will probably keep this 220 case and pair it with my 210 which is case-less.  I will then, after a full service, gift the 220 away.

My Dymo label maker can make a neat Electra 120 label to cover the "220" label presently on the case.

Yes, my 220 also has that extra circuitry with a microswitch to engage the secondary winding.  I've toyed with the idea of disabling it.  It really does feel like the carriage is going to fly across the room!  It's not clear to me whether that was an optional feature or standard on all 220s.

By the way, I think you mentioned something about not wanting that 120 with the script typeface.  I have a 120 with a standard pica typeface if you're interested in trading.  I believe mine is a 1965 model with blue shell and white keys (and of course the matching case).  I'm still looking for something with script...

Board footera