You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-1-2023 09:00:40  #1

1976 Hermes Baby inconsistent carriage lever line advance spacing

Thanks everyone for your expert help thus far with this Hermes Baby. I've gotten it to type well despite the strange characters on the keyboard. Unknown? Foreign?

But, now. The carriage return line spacing advance is inconsistent. For example, when set at single space, it might do that several times, then a half line advance happens. Or, if set to double space, it might do that several times, then only advance a single line.

Here are some pictures of the area in question. I cleaned and lubricated it so unsure if it is wear on the teeth catcher grabber gizmo attached to the carriage lever or what. Can the "teeth catcher grabber metal protrusion be simply worn out? Also, the action is fairly tight with no looseness or sloppiness.
Thanks for the help.

06-1-2023 09:02:10  #2

Re: 1976 Hermes Baby inconsistent carriage lever line advance spacing

Another picture:

06-1-2023 17:00:24  #3

Kalani,

Not sure if I can help much...my Hermes Baby is from 1968 and still made in Swtizerland (of France).  That same area on my machine is different that what I see on your photos.

But does your line-spacing lever stay in its selected position or is it moving when your spacing seems to drift ? 

If the lever moves, it might mean the method of "detent" for the lever needs to be looked at since the lever should stay in its selected position while your perform repeated carriage returns with the CR lever.

My selector lever is very stout and it takes some finger strength to move it from one spacing to the next.  And it does not move position with the use of the CR lever.

Sorry I cannot offer any more help.

06-1-2023 18:54:41  #4

Pete E. wrote:

Kalani,

Not sure if I can help much...my Hermes Baby is from 1968 and still made in Swtizerland (of France).  That same area on my machine is different that what I see on your photos.

But does your line-spacing lever stay in its selected position or is it moving when your spacing seems to drift ? 

If the lever moves, it might mean the method of "detent" for the lever needs to be looked at since the lever should stay in its selected position while your perform repeated carriage returns with the CR lever.

My selector lever is very stout and it takes some finger strength to move it from one spacing to the next.  And it does not move position with the use of the CR lever.

Sorry I cannot offer any more help.

This "Hermes" was likely not made in Switzerland. It's lacking in that refinement it seems. Like this ratchet mechanism that depends on just that hooked piece of bent metal to catch the cog gears on the end of the platen.
This is the one that I brought back to live after getting it for "free" from an ebay "seller". . .(shady).
I don't think I'm going to mess with it anymore. It's cheapy feeling and not worth keeping. The keyboard is not standard so it's going to the thrift store.

Thanks again,
k

06-1-2023 20:19:53  #5

Kalani,

I think by that time (late 1970's and early 1980's), the Baby was made in Brazil.

I have ended up with some "dog" machines not worth trying to get back to working.

I find they still yield a good set of key-tops, lots of springs and small nuts, screws, washers, platen knobs and other small parts, etc. to make the the time to dismantle them worth the effort.

07-1-2023 10:25:13  #6

Pete E. wrote:

I find they still yield a good set of key-tops, lots of springs and small nuts, screws, washers, platen knobs and other small parts, etc. to make the the time to dismantle them worth the effort.

Pete, thank you for the reminder about harvesting parts from machines I deem not worth repairing.

George

Board footera