You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-1-2023 09:25:13  #1

What are the most reliable and easy to service, easy to use, electric?

What are the most reliable and easy to use and service (repair if needed) electro-mechanical typewriters?
What has the best "feel" and action?

Smith Corona Electra 120?
Other?

Thanks for your help and sharing.
Aloiha

12-1-2023 00:40:12  #2

Re: What are the most reliable and easy to service, easy to use, electric?

In regards to serviceability & quality; Probably the Olympia SGE line. Those were made for heavy, professional use & with regular maintenance in mind. Olympia SGE 40 is probably the "flagship". 
Every other criteria is subjective. Personally, I prefer the feel of electric type bar machines over the Selectric. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

12-1-2023 09:49:29  #3

I see electric type-bar machines in two (2) categories...

1.  Those with a manually operated CR Lever.

2,  Those with a power-return CR function.

My preference when using my electrics is for those in category 1 as it still feels like I am using a typewriter.

12-1-2023 11:49:45  #4

If I want electric, I go full electric. No half measures. I like the "business like" feel of them. 
But I have that same issue you describe with Selectrics. Just doesn't feel much like a typewriter to me anymore. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

12-1-2023 12:43:57  #5

I also like electrics but I'd be happier if they didn't seem like they were trying to throw the carriage off the machine. Having a powered mechanism raise the typebar with a degree of uniform strike force creates a nice looking page. The folks I write to have commented on noticing the difference between manual and electric. They also have noted that the IBM Wheelwriter 10 looks more like a modern printer.

George

12-1-2023 13:22:22  #6

I agree about the disconcerting feeling of using an electric with power return.  I understand why they're built that way - to keep up with fast typists - but still, it's jarring.  Like Pete, I much prefer one with a manual carriage return lever.

One thing that keeps electrics behind manuals (for me) is the fact that they're not autonomous.  With a manual, it's just me and the typewriter.  I can take it anywhere.  An electric is dependent on a whole host of infrastructure and people to keep the grid going.  If the power goes out, it becomes a useless brick. 

The imprint from an electric is more consistent than from a manual, removing some of the human element - but is that necessarily a good thing?  I find myself without an answer as I can see advantages on both sides.  

12-1-2023 13:49:19  #7

OregonJim wrote:

I agree about the disconcerting feeling of using an electric with power return.  I understand why they're built that way - to keep up with fast typists - but still, it's jarring.  Like Pete, I much prefer one with a manual carriage return lever.

One thing that keeps electrics behind manuals (for me) is the fact that they're not autonomous.  With a manual, it's just me and the typewriter.  I can take it anywhere.  An electric is dependent on a whole host of infrastructure and people to keep the grid going.  If the power goes out, it becomes a useless brick. 

The imprint from an electric is more consistent than from a manual, removing some of the human element - but is that necessarily a good thing?  I find myself without an answer as I can see advantages on both sides.  

I'll add to that it seems finding a well maintained electric (at least here in Eugene) is also a challenge. The motor also makes them heavier although being heavier probably keeps them in place as the carriage slams to a stop.

12-1-2023 19:42:55  #8

Question?

Do you think the Smith Corona Electra 120 is the best balance between retaining everything about a manual typewriter as possible, while having the benefits of being electric?

12-1-2023 19:49:33  #9

Kalani wrote:

Question?

Do you think the Smith Corona Electra 120 is the best balance between retaining everything about a manual typewriter as possible, while having the benefits of being electric?

Duane from Phoenix Typewriter seems to think so:

14-1-2023 09:48:25  #10

Thanks, Jim.
Yes, I've watched that video and a number of others by Duane on YouTube about that "family" of Smith Corona's. They seem to be the best of typewriter technology up to that time, whether manual in the Galaxie series, etc, or the electric/manuals like that SC Electra 120.

I recently watched the video on the power return repair on the SC Coronet, etc, and it used nylon gearings and an added level of complexity that I'd rather avoid. So, no "power return" features for me.

Keep warm
Snowstorm this weekend. 17 inches predicted.
k

Board footera