You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-7-2017 16:29:44  #1

Carriage makes loud ratchet noise on Smith Corona

Hello all! I'm new to this group.
I've just gotten a Smith-Corona Super-Silent (1955) which was all gummed up but cleaned up nicely with denatured alcohol, so everything works fine now. EXCEPT, when I return the carriage to the right the ratchet sound the escapement (star wheel?) makes is unusually loud. I've cleaned and lubricated those parts but the sound persists. I've also lubricated the rails and those ball bearings under the carriage. I've also checked that the carriage is not scraping on the chassis and it is not. I've even replaced the squished grommets near the four feet to raise the main machine from the chassis but that didn't make any difference. When moving the carriage from right to left using the carriage release lever, it is noiseless with no friction as it should be.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

20-7-2017 23:21:50  #2

Re: Carriage makes loud ratchet noise on Smith Corona

I actually have the same problem on my 1928 underwood portable 3 bank
I've heard it said that The carriage movements should be mostly silent and that any noise is just a lack of cleaning and or lubrication, but that's one mechanism where I wouldn't really know where to start when it comes to cleaning/lubricating

01-8-2017 13:14:02  #3

Clean out the ratchet mechanism that allows the pinion to move independantly from the escapement wheel.
It's gummed up, and forcing the escapement backwards.

I had the same thing happen to me on a '54 Quiet De Luxe.

03-8-2017 06:30:48  #4

Thank you for advices. I've triple cleaned the pinions as much as I can reach with denatured alcohol. It is slightly better but the ratcheting noise is still quite loud. SHOULD I LUBRICATE THE PARTS? I read once that lubricating the escapement mechanism is a no-no.

18-1-2023 02:48:50  #5

The most likely answer to this question is an aged/deformed rubber bumper causing the escapement ratchet dog not to clear the starwheel when returning the carriage, per Duane at Phoenix Typewriter, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fG8FqD2GRY

18-1-2023 12:27:48  #6

Also look to make sure the silencer spring on the escapement gear has not become dislodged.

And you might take a little bit of lacquer thinner to the escapement mechanisms...but be careful not get the lacquer thinner on any painted surfaces.

18-1-2023 18:34:13  #7

Pete E. wrote:

Also look to make sure the silencer spring on the escapement gear has not become dislodged.

I do not believe Smith Corona 5 Series machines have silencer springs. They did not have silent returns like one would find on many of the European machines of that era.

19-1-2023 13:37:59  #8

SoucekFan,

Yes you are correct.  Not a "radial" silencer spring that sits in a radial grove of the escapement gear. 

But a flat-ish mechanism that pivots in/out with a couple of extension springs on pivot joints.  Those cam get stiff and gunked up.  I usually use a little lacquer thinner in those areas on my Series 5 machines and then a drop of oil here and there.

19-1-2023 16:20:47  #9

Sounds like what happened to my Webster when I knocked it on the floor. I gave up on it.

21-1-2023 15:24:10  #10

I just did this repair on an S-C Series 5 machine per the video. However, I didn't completely cut out the rubber bumper, but trimmed it down by half. Worked perfectly. Don't know if the OP is still looking for the fix, but given that this is the same machine I would bet on this fix being the right one.

Board footera