You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-1-2023 16:41:21  #1

Typing Paper Weight

I've been looking into what type of paper I should be using in my typewriter. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something nice and simple I can pick up at my local Staples. I've heard that regular copy paper (20 lb. and under) is too thin, and I've heard both 24 lb. and 32 lb. mentioned as better. Is there such a thing as having paper too thick? Does the weight of the paper affect how it picks up ink, or does that depend more on the quality of the paper itself?

A Royal fangirl, through and through.

21-1-2023 17:55:10  #2

Re: Typing Paper Weight

I don't think the thickness/weight is so much of an issue, assuming of course that you're using a backing sheet. The backing sheet is very important; not only will it help protect your platen and type slugs, it will also allow you to use a wider range of paper. 

I'd suggest experimenting with papers and find what you like the look and feel of the most. However, my go-to daily paper is Xerox 24 lb "premium multi-purpose" paper that I buy at Costco. It works great in practically every machine I've run it through. And yes, paper can be too thick/heavy. With some models you'll have a hard time getting really heavy paper through the feed rollers, and/or the paper bail won't be able to keep it flat on the platen.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-1-2023 17:58:16  #3

Thank you for the advice! I need to start using a backing sheet regularly, perhaps that will help with the typing.

21-1-2023 19:54:03  #4

I have a couple of boxes of "vintage" typing paper - they're 16 lb. weight.  Also some erasable bond typing paper that's even lighter.  I think the sizing on the paper matters more than the weight, assuming your feed rollers are in good shape.  I have the same question, though - what "modern" paper gives a good impression with typewriters?  I have yet to find anything suitable at Staples, outside of some very expensive 100% cotton rag paper...

21-1-2023 20:35:04  #5

What is paper "sizing" by the way? I see it mentioned a lot in relation to typewriters, but whenever I look it up I can only get results for different sizes of paper.

22-1-2023 00:04:23  #6

WJC wrote:

What is paper "sizing" by the way? I see it mentioned a lot in relation to typewriters, but whenever I look it up I can only get results for different sizes of paper.

In my internet search for "sizing", the very first hit is for this article in Wkikpedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sizing

22-1-2023 00:10:17  #7

Very interesting, thanks for sharing that link!

22-1-2023 11:15:47  #8

For myself: I use a backing sheet from regular computer printer paper, 20 pound I think. Then, on top of that, Rhodia fountain pen paper which is at least as 20 lb paper but glazed, or Clairefontane (spel?) which is a thin paper made in Japan and made for fountain pens.  That is for regular 8.5 x 10 or 11 paper size.  If half sheets, then backing sheet plus whatever half sheet size I'm to type on.
Overall, always use a backing sheet to make a nice imprint and also protect the platen, and also, if the typewriter platen is old or slippery, it helps it grab the paper better.

k

22-1-2023 14:02:28  #9

Kalani wrote:

For myself: Rhodia fountain pen paper which is at least as 20 lb paper but glazed, or Clairefontane (spel?) which is a thin paper made in Japan and made for fountain pens.
k

Clairefontaine is not a thin paper made in Japan--I think you meant a different brand. Clairefontaine is a French company who also makes Rhodia. Clairfontaine products are very similar to Rhodia.

22-1-2023 14:09:34  #10

SoucekFan wrote:

Kalani wrote:

For myself: Rhodia fountain pen paper which is at least as 20 lb paper but glazed, or Clairefontane (spel?) which is a thin paper made in Japan and made for fountain pens.
k

Clairefontaine is not a thin paper made in Japan--I think you meant a different brand. Clairefontaine is a French company who also makes Rhodia. Clairfontaine products are very similar to Rhodia.

wow
good catch
thanks!

Tomoe River
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRRPSJ2?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Board footera