You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-1-2023 10:08:16  #1

What was the last year for Smith Corona electro-mechanical typewriter?

What was the last year that Smith Corona made electro-mechanical typewriters?
What model?

thanks for the help.
k

21-1-2023 10:09:30  #2

Re: What was the last year for Smith Corona electro-mechanical typewriter?

Correction:
Last year that Smith Corona made electro mechanical typewriters "with ink ribbon spools" (not cartridge)?
What model?

21-1-2023 12:42:44  #3

The available data for Smith-Corona production is spotty at best.  All I can tell you is that the switch to cartridge-based ribbons on their electrics happened in the mid-70s.

If I had to guess, I'd say 1977 or so Electra, Power, or Secretarial.

Are you aware that Smith-Corona made a rechargeable battery-powered electric typebar machine in the '60s?  It was called the "Poweriter" and ran on built in NiCd cells or regular wall power.  Pretty neat idea that was ahead of its time...

21-1-2023 14:13:58  #4

I think that Smith-Corona introduced its Coronamatic Ribbon Cartridge models in 1974. Clearly there was an overlap for several years when both ribbon systems were available. I also think that the regular ribbon Sterling models (Automatic 12 with power carriage return, and Electric 12 with manual carriage return) were still being sold in 1978. 

The typewriter I used for high school was a mid, to late, '70s Pride Line Automatic 12 that used the cartridge system. It was a great typewriter; I still have it, and it still works well today. Being able to quick change the ribbon, in particular for a correction ribbon, was a great feature at the time. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-1-2023 17:37:26  #5

Uwe, that is a fantastic photo for this typewriter. Excellent choice of color for background staging (love the texture contrast too), lighting framing the typewriter but leaving an interesting pattern on the left. Love it.

21-1-2023 17:43:22  #6

Thanks! With so many typewriters it can be a real challenge - for me - to find something a little different for each one. I'm planning on taking a crack at video, but I'm not holding my breath on what the results will be... 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-1-2023 06:01:33  #7

Going from memory only, I think the awful Singapore-made SCM S301 electric (using the traditional Smith-Corona plastic ribbon spools) was still being sold around 1982.  As an aside, Smith-Corona were still manufacturing manual portables in England surprisingly late - finished late 1980's.

18-2-2023 23:40:21  #8

Mid 1970's, Smith Corona Coronamatic 2200, cartridge ribbon, power backspace, auto return. All metal body and cast metal trimmings, some plastic trimmings. (bought this near mint condition typewriter for 10 dollars on "ShopGoodWill.com" auction website.) It is very quiet and types smoothly.

19-2-2023 12:59:31  #9

I tend to shy away from anything with proprietary consumables (like cartridge ribbons).  Of course, that eliminates pretty much everything from 1980 onwards, give or take.

One exception is the Selectric, which still has a decent supply of ribbon cartridges available.

Board footera