You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-1-2023 20:29:42  #1

Shaky Type on a Royal 890

In my small collection, the typewriter that's probably in best condition with the smoothest action (and my daily driver) is the Royal 890. However it occasionally has issues with the type being kind of "shaky" and having inconsistent alignment. I think some of the issue might be accidentally hitting the shift key on keys like "q", "a", and "z", but I think the typewriter also has something slightly wrong with it. Is this an issue with the type-bars that would require bending, or is this a different issue that has a (hopefully) simpler solution?

A Royal fangirl, through and through.

22-1-2023 20:43:30  #2

Re: Shaky Type on a Royal 890

I would like to add that I have not tried any homemade repairs on this thing. It's in about the same condition as it was when I got it,aside from an incomplete case disassembly to do some dusting and cleaning. The serial number is CV6 76021, and I was unable to determine the exact year of manufacture through the Typewriter Database. As for history, I believe the guy I purchased it from had been keeping it in its original case in barn (not a real, active one, more like an larger, uninstalled garage) for an unknown amount of time. I live in the US North East, so mildly cold winter and mildly warm summer (idk if that would have an effect on the metal).

22-1-2023 22:18:34  #3

Very sorry to add another edit, but the serial number was incorrect, the correct number is CV6 376021. I originally omitted the 3.

22-1-2023 22:57:38  #4

According to the TWDB,

1965 serial #s begin at 5958589
1966 serial #s begin at 6474796

...which would make yours (# 6376021) a 1965 model.

https://typewriterdatabase.com/royal.72.typewriter-serial-number-database

Board footera