You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-1-2023 14:52:12  #1

Remington16 typewriter ribbon spool and general questions?

Hi all! First time posting and first typewriter restoration so please bear with me. Everything is totally new to me.  I'm more comfortable restoring 5 tube radio sets. I believe I have a Remington 16 typewriter circa 1936. The serial number is Z581202.but I did not see it in the database. I have it mechanical functional (I believe) but wonder about the ribbon spools. Do I need the original metal spools or can I use the universal plastic spools readily available today?

Also did Remington use standard U.S. hardware in their typewriters?  Seem to find some odd pitch on the screws they used,

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Thanks! (ARF!)

22-1-2023 16:19:05  #2

Re: Remington16 typewriter ribbon spool and general questions?

Some of the "universal" spools allow you to punch out the center section in order to make them fit in Remingtons.  

22-1-2023 17:23:17  #3

OregonJim wrote:

Some of the "universal" spools allow you to punch out the center section in order to make them fit in Remingtons.  

Those would not work on early Remington standards. His model will require the proprietary metal spools, which were used on the models 10, 12, 16, and others.

22-1-2023 20:42:04  #4

SoucekFan wrote:

OregonJim wrote:

Those would not work on early Remington standards. His model will require the proprietary metal spools, which were used on the models 10, 12, 16, and others.

Thanks for clarifying.  I'm not familiar with the early Remingtons - didn't realize the spool type had changed.

23-1-2023 05:33:43  #5

Are both spools missing on your Remington 16 ?  The right hand one was the one that a replacement ribbon always came on, but the left one was a factory spare part and permanently attached to the machine with a screw in the middle of the spindle..  The left one is much the same as the right, but the arrowhead that the ribbon attaches to is on the other side and faces in the opposite direction.

23-1-2023 08:49:52  #6

Thanks for the help!  Yes both spools are missing. I see the threaded left side spindle. Are both left and right spools physically the same and interchangeable?

Thanks! (ARF!)

24-1-2023 05:06:57  #7

No, left and right hand spools are not interchangeable, although it is possible to modify a right hand spool to act as a left hand one.  I have PM'd you with further information.

Board footera