You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-1-2023 23:32:21  #1

Lexicon 80 Testimonials

Despite its prevalence among European and Brazillian typists, thorough reviews of the Lexicon are sparse. As its beauty is already self-evident, I wonder if those who have experience with this machine can demystify its functional performance as a standard typewriter. 

Please mention any aspect (touch, carriage movement, general mechanics, etc.) and make any comparisons (particularly with contemporaries i.e. the Olympia SG-1) that you find relevant. Is the Lexicon 80 a worthy writing instrument?

That and salaams.

24-1-2023 09:16:59  #2

Re: Lexicon 80 Testimonials

Yes, to me there is no doubt the Lexikon 80 is a worthy writing instrument. However, performance wise I find the Lexikon no match for my SG3 or Matura.

24-1-2023 14:41:46  #3

24-1-2023 20:55:34  #4

Laurenz van Gaalen wrote:

performance wise I find the Lexikon no match for my SG3.

Thank you. Which features do you find the SG series to have mastered in comparison to the Lexicon? I've considered acquiring the former before the latter but beyond previous experience with the SMs and the Letterra 32, I can't pose a reason why. 

That and salaams.

24-1-2023 20:59:13  #5

Pete E. wrote:

lovely to admire.  

I've always thought so. 

That and salaams.

25-1-2023 13:01:11  #6

Somali_Script wrote:

Which features do you find the SG series to have mastered in comparison to the Lexicon

I can type faster and for a considerably longer time on the SG3 than on the Lexikon because the SG3's typing action is less stiff than the action of the Lexikon. Apart from that I find the keyboard and all other controls of the SG3 more convenient to operate.

26-1-2023 12:05:30  #7

I have found that with a little tuning you can get passable typing performance from a Lexikon 80. I have two of them, and only bought the second one because the first was so bad I couldn't believe it was indicative of the model's capabilities. However, the second was bad too, and it was only then that I found out that it needed some adjustments to restore both of them to an acceptable level. 

As the others have already said, there's no comparison between the SG1/SG3 and the 80. You buy the Olivetti for its looks, and the Olympia for its performance.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-1-2023 16:33:07  #8

Uwe wrote:

You buy the Olivetti for its looks, and the Olympia for its performance.

That seems to be the conclusion, if not the one I wanted. Thank you all for your comments. Perhaps the SG club will soon see another member in its ranks.

That and salaams.

Board footera