You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-10-2014 05:49:00  #1

Silicone Spray to Rejuvenate Platen/Roller Rubber?

I've been readhing a lot about people using silicone spray to rejuvenate (soften) hard or old rubber. How well does this work? 

From what I've read, it appears to have some success, although it's a messy process. I'm currently testing it on the platen of my typewriter (an 80+year-old antique) to see if it'll soften it up for better typing. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

07-10-2014 12:17:17  #2

Re: Silicone Spray to Rejuvenate Platen/Roller Rubber?

I've never heard of that; what type of silicone spray exactly? I just use a rubber rejuvinator spray for platens, which is the proper stuff meant for the task. As a bonus it does a great job at cleaning off Liquid Paper. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-10-2014 13:40:27  #3

I have used silicone spray in rubber maintenance for many years. Silicone is the main component in artificial rubber restorer fluids.
Be careful to buy colour-free, clear spray. Motoring accessories shops often sell silicone spray with added black paint to give the bounce as well as the black shine back to car tyres.

My experience with silicone is mixed. While it does prolong the life of rubber components if used as part of a maintentance regime from the start, it may have little effect if the component has become hardened by age beyond a certiain degree, and it is virtually useless if it has become brittle. Do not apply silicone if the component in question plays any part in a gripping-retaining function. Silicone enhanced rubber becomes shinier, perhaps bouncier, but also slippery (even after it has fully absorbed the silicone) and will not exert any grip.  You would have to remove the silicone from the top layer of the object by appling detergents or mild alcohol solutions, which is - as you said - messy. Silicone is harmless and useful for shock absorbing rubber ends, pads, bolts, rings, nubs and the like.
Since a platen has to have grip, I would think twice before using silicone.

Last edited by Squinancy (07-10-2014 13:41:13)

07-10-2014 17:33:59  #4

Squinancy wrote:

IDo not apply silicone if the component in question plays any part in a gripping-retaining function... 
Since a platen has to have grip, I would think twice before using silicone.

It's worth mentioning that if you're going to treat the platen that the feed rollers should be done at the same time. I use the platen rejuvinator product on both, and if anything, it increases the amount of grip they have on a page.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-10-2014 18:15:57  #5

Thanks for the replies, guys. 

I'm still waiting for the silicone to soak into the rubber. The rubber is not overly hard. It still works, but I don't know how old it is, and I want to try and revive it before it's beyond all hope. 

And yes, I did the platen AND feed-rollers in one go, to keep things even. The spray I bought was just standard clear silicone spray from the local hardware shop. Nothing fancy. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

Board footera