You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-4-2014 19:01:09  #21

Re: Olympia SG1

Uwe wrote:

........ Please don't tell me it's being shipped to you. .............

90 minutes drive away!  As with most things, patience is the key.

EBay is a wonderful thing provided one is careful and patient.  I could hardly have hoped to find one without it.

Machine is here and cleaning is underway.  Love the ease of removing the carriage.  Hunting rubber for the little rollers today - and it's worth noting that the injector will likely not work well if the feed rollers are perished.

Overall, very impressed with the machine so far.

Have been using 'Liquid Bearings' to oil machines and the results are good so far - has good needle appicator which makes it easy to place a tiny drop accurately.  Shall oil the SG1 with this as well, but sparingly.  Manual says to put a little oil on all moving links except the typebar slots. 

Last edited by beak (07-4-2014 19:06:09)

Sincerely,
beak.

14-4-2014 20:09:44  #22

Uwe wrote:

However, I'm going to replace those springs eventually as they are ridiculously weak - I suspect intentionaly so for some reason - but a little more tension would make a big difference.

Uwe, think twice about using stronger springs on that ribbon advance pawl. They don't have to be very strong at all--just enough to move that very lightweight pawl an eighth of an inch. Stronger springs will increase wear, of course, and might even prevent the pawl from springing back enough to let the toothed wheel turn as freely as it should. (Not to mention the diffculty of finding the right shape.)

I gave up on cleaning it with solvents and took both sides apart for mechanical cleaning with a bit of paper towel. They work perfectly now, even with the original springs.

== Michael Höhne

14-4-2014 22:28:41  #23

I'll keep that under consideration. When I compared the springs in the problematic ribbon transport system to those in my other SG1 I did notice that they were the same. I've got it working now, without having to dismantle it, but if it acts up again I'll try a deeper cleaning.

In the meantime I bought another SG1 on Sunday (that makes three now), only because it was a first generation model and the other two I already owned were second generation machines. Of course the first thing I checked was the ribbon transport, and it seems to be working fine. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-4-2014 09:15:55  #24

My SG1 now in fair state, and, yes, you just can't argue:::::::::::::::

The typing action is the best that I have ever known. 

I doubted that I would ever find a better action than the SM4, but the SG1 beats even that wonderful action.  Combination of lightness, speed, and reassuring solidity are beyond compare.  For those unfamiliar, all I can say is try one whenever you have the chance.  Amazing machine.

Sincerely,
beak.

08-6-2014 08:17:29  #25

From all I hear, the SG1's are incredible - still haven't tried one. But if you want a similar, and comparable machine, the mid 50's Adler Universal is it. It's got all the SG1 features - paper injector, double spaced letters, removeable carriage, decimal tabulation, great styling, and it types like a dream - you know that you're typing on something special. Mine also has "Congress" typeface, which is quite nice, and bold. Anyway, enjoy your SG1

07-10-2014 18:05:46  #26

I just came onto an SG1, and am very excited about it. I brought it to Tom Furrier to have it brought back to its glory. It seems like it is going to certainly turn out to be a favorite all time typewriter. I am missing the paper rest/line guide from the back. I might see if I can replicate one some how. If only I had one and knew somebody that was good with using a 3D printer!

07-10-2014 22:02:44  #27

Missing paper rests are very common with the SG1 and SG3. Of the seven SG1s I have, only three still had their paper rests. Some day I'll get around to replicating them.

I think we need to start a SG1 club here!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-10-2014 23:15:51  #28

I have an SG1 question. So, when I drepress either one of the two chrome carriage release buttons on each side and the carriage slides freely back and forth, it does not stop when it reaches the right margin, but it stops for the left. When I am actually typing, it does stop at the right margin. Is this the way that the SG1 works?

25-10-2014 17:33:15  #29

Yes, that's normal, and something I think is a pretty handy feature.

25-10-2014 17:35:42  #30

Okay! Good to know. What is this feature used for? The only reason that it seems annoying to me is that I usually like to check exactly where the magrin will stop the print in relation to the page by using this carriage release. 

Board footera