You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-2-2023 01:29:22  #1

Ultraportable with variable line spacing?

Hi all,

I'm looking for an ultraportable with a specific feature.

You know how most portables and standards have two methods of doing variable line spacing - a lever that temporarily suspends the line spacing for doing superscripts and subscripts, and a button in the left platen knob that you push or pull to permanently move the line spacing.  I'm looking for an ultraportable with the latter - a permanent change.  I have three different ultraportables with the former, temporary line spacing, but not the permanent one, which doesn't satisfy my need.

The reason for this is my Franklin Planner.  It has lined paper at 6 lines per inch.  I need to be able to roll the platen exactly to the first line, and then be able to type normally with the ratchet engaged for the rest of the page.  I don't want to have to line up each and every line.

Can anyone tell me if their ultraportable has this feature?  I'm only interested in machines that would be fairly common and easily obtained in the US.  Not looking to spend a fortune, just want a good, small typer...

05-2-2023 06:24:14  #2

Re: Ultraportable with variable line spacing?

The first machines that spring to mind are the Olivetti Lettera 22 and Lettera 32 (and variants).  Some of these have the freehead feature that you need.  The Hermes Baby/Rocket also has this feature.  On these, the left platen knob unscrews slightly to disconnect the ratchet.  The Silver-Reed small portable (and branded variants) also has this feature - as an 'approximate' copy of the Hermes - BUT the factory often put thread lock on in production to disable it.  If you can loosen the left platen knob on these models, you have the feature without paying Hermes prices.

05-2-2023 12:53:55  #3

Thank you - that's exactly the information I was looking for.  In my area, the Olivetti Letteras command a premium price - but the Silver-Reed may be my saving grace.

05-2-2023 15:50:04  #4

Thanks, Tom! I never knew my Hermes Baby had this feature. Thanks to your tip, I just tried it for the first time. Very helpful.

05-2-2023 18:57:08  #5

Hi Rob

You may have noticed that the Hermes Baby and Rocket along with the Empire Aristocrat have a keyhole shaped metal tab attached to the left end of the platen and the left platen knob has a small triangle molded into it. These two work together preventing the left platen knob from unscrewing too far when using the line finder function. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera