You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-2-2023 13:53:55  #21

Re: Smith Corona Electra new belts now motor won't spin up. Clutch? Belt?

Pete E. wrote:

Hi John,

Hopefully other Members can confirm, but I think the right platen knob is held by 2 slightly different set-scews. 

One with the conical-shaped end and the other with a flat bottomed end.  IIRC...there is a dimple drilled in the metal of the platen shaft for the concial-shaped screw to engage.  But the other screw is flat-bottomed and seats against the remainder of the slightly rounded shaft metal.

Yes. As far as I know after working on about 8 manual and electric SCM series 6. That's the screws for the right side platen knob.
k

10-2-2023 23:00:12  #22

Wow, you guys are great!

Pete, I really appreciate the offer, but surprisingly those 6 series screws do not look like the 5 series. I have the conical set screw in my silent super that is missing on my my 5TE. The 5 series knobs only have the one screw and unfortunately the threads are not angled like yours and the cone shape on the tip itself is significantly less pronounced than yours.

10-2-2023 23:22:56  #23

Actually, after blowing up your photo, I now see the very tip of yours does look similar to the 5 series; however, mine has threads all the way down to that tip where yours does not. It’s also more possible than I first thought that the threads may be similar.

I think i would like to try that one if you are willing to send it. I will absolutely return it if it doesn’t work.

Thank you!

11-2-2023 08:35:05  #24

Hi John,

I will get the screw(s) out to you in the Mail today. 

I will send both along...but if my conical screw does works, no need to send the other back. 

Just send them both back if the conical does not work...so I can keep the pair together.

11-2-2023 09:30:35  #25

I really appreciate this, Pete. I was just remembering you have a couple of five series SCs you could check the fit on if you wanted to save yourself the trouble. They are super easy to remove. Just flip the back section open that houses the paper holder and turn the right platen knob until you see and have access to the screw in question.
thanks again!

11-2-2023 11:39:44  #26

Hi John,

You are right...I checked both of my Series 5 machines and the conical set-screw has a much finer thread than the screws from my Series 6 machine.

So unfortunately, cannot help you out in this case.

Regrets...

11-2-2023 11:50:42  #27

11-2-2023 13:20:35  #28

Pete E. wrote:

Hi John,

You are right...I checked both of my Series 5 machines and the conical set-screw has a much finer thread than the screws from my Series 6 machine.

So unfortunately, cannot help you out in this case.

Regrets...

No problem and thank you so much for checking. I had been thinking I will look for a rough typewriter for the parts I need and had thought about a 6 series likely having this same screw I need in case I don’t find a 5 series, so you actually did help me and saved me some searching. Thanks again for your time and efforts to help me out! 

11-2-2023 13:24:09  #29

Fantastic Jim!

Thanks for the great idea. I will explore this.

12-2-2023 08:28:07  #30

Hi John,

Another option I would consider if I were in your shoes...would be to use a small tap & tie set and re-thread the existing set screw hole on the platen knob to a bit larger and more conventional thread pattern.

Just a thought...

Board footera