You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-2-2023 14:14:17  #11

Re: Olivetti Lettera 36

07-2-2023 14:41:58  #12

Thanks Rob...I did not know its name...thought it looked cool.  And easy to read on the eyes.

Seems like the font dates back to 1922 originally.

Too bad the type-slugs do not imprint like the key-tops.  That would be a fun script to have, for sure.

07-2-2023 17:27:03  #13

Pete E. wrote:

Too bad the type-slugs do not imprint like the key-tops.  That would be a fun script to have, for sure.

That would be lovely, and why I want to figure out, someday, how to make my own Hammond shuttles, Blick type wheels, or (I wonder) IBM type balls... 

17-2-2023 15:57:54  #14

1st. day on the workbench in my garage for a deep cleaning, case repair )noe crack in plastic that super-glue fixed), and some repairs.

Waiting for new belts, even though the existing belts work just fine.

Space-bar was not working.  After a clean of its linkages with lacquer thinner and a bit of an adjustment to its linkages, it works perfectly now.  Single spaces now with a light touch and repeat spaces if the space-bar is bottomed-out and held down.

Only other function not yet working is the back space.  Will go after that tomorrow to sort it out.  And a new black/red ribbon, as well.

Weighs in at 18.0 lbs, without its case weight.

Even had some time for touch-ups to the cream coloured paint where chips were present.

More photos in a few days when it is all finished and put back together.

17-2-2023 16:30:43  #15

Anyone care to take a guess at its made-year date ?

SN-641262

21-2-2023 17:18:55  #16

Olivetti Lettera 36 is all sorted out and ready for final assembly.

New belts arrive tomorrow and then I can put it all back together.

The back-space / power back-space key is now fully functional.  Its linkage needed some lacquer thinner on all of its pivot points and one metal-tab just above the carriage plate needed a wee bit of re-forming to make the action a bit shorter.

I really like typing on this little machine.  It's overall size is about the same as a Royal Futura 800, in terms of foot-print.  It has a light touch, is very quick and fast, and the power-return is not a beast.

Well worth the total $ 40 USD I had to spend to bring it home.  Belts another $ 30 with shipping.  I bought 2 sets...1 pair to go on the machine and another pair for the spare in the case.

The red key top on the upper left is used as the "keyboard release".  It releases the automatic carriage lock when you center the carriage and power it off and want to start up the machine again, for typing.  This same key-top has the "margin release" function as well.

BTW...serial number, I think puts it made in the 1981-82 time frame...based what I can figure from the TWDB info.

21-2-2023 18:38:19  #17

I think I saw that machine on SGW and considered it--so glad it went home with you! Great looking job!

21-2-2023 18:48:45  #18

LD,

I think that same week, 2 other 36's ran through SGW.  They were the more recent varieties with the squarish key-tops.  I really wanted to hold out for the round key-tops.

I was glad only 1 other bidder was against me, IIRC.

Platen rubber is even soft enough to let me leave indents with my thumb nail (...i.e. my informal Durometer...).

22-2-2023 11:28:02  #19

Pete E. wrote:

Well I sprang for a decent Olivetti Lettera 36 with its case.  Only $ 20 USD plus the same for S&H via a SGW auction this week.

It is an earlier variation with the round shaped key-tops.  Still has original Olivetti spools and spool nuts.  And I think the case will clean & polish up, nicely.

Will report more after it is home and cleaned & serviced.

Suspect it might be part of my "catch & release" program...but was curious to get one in my hands for the experience.

Congratulations on a great buy and find. There can certainly be some treasures on SGW that others might miss.  Lately, I got a mint condition Olympia SM4 for 129 dollars. It was mislabelled and others didn't catch what was in the blurry pictures.
Onward!
k

23-2-2023 12:27:05  #20

Olivetti Lettera 36 is all buttoned up, including new "toothed" belts.

I thought it would be part of my "catch & release" program...but...it's a keeper.

Board footera