You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-3-2023 11:01:17  #1

A rare new Olivetti Línea 98

Hi, I'm from Spain. This model was widespread in this country. The Hispano-Olivetti factory was in Barcelona, ​​​​from 1929 to 1996. In the 80-90s, these typewriters could be found in most schools, universities, town halls, etc... Nowadays, you can buy one starting from prices 10 -15 euros.
I always loved this model, it has a special sentimental value since in 1995 I learned to type in an academy where all the typewriters were Olivetti Linea 98. afternoons, during our course, we hit these machines like hammers
When I finished the typing program, my family bought me a modest Olivett Studio 46 for homework, but honestly I never got familiar with the feel of this typewriter and always missed the Linea 98 
Today I am proud to share with you the discovery of a completely new Olivetti Line 98 in its original packaging from the 80s. A very rare unit

01-3-2023 11:20:59  #2

Re: A rare new Olivetti Línea 98

Congratulations! An excellent find and a great story.

How does it type out of the box? Have the rubber or lubricants stiffened after 40 years in a box?

How'd you come to find it?

01-3-2023 11:49:57  #3

It's absolutely gorgeous, what a great find! And it's great to see how it was originally packed for transport. I'm mesmerized by how white the plastic is; I assumed the plastic on my Linea 98 was originally off-white, but could it have yellowed that much? Then again mine is a 1973 model and maybe Olivetti changed the colours over the years? It's something I should really look into.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-3-2023 13:12:29  #4

robmck wrote:

Congratulations! An excellent find and a great story.

How does it type out of the box? Have the rubber or lubricants stiffened after 40 years in a box?

How'd you come to find it?

I found it in Ibiza. It was sold to me by a 20-year-old girl, but she doesn't know the exact history of this typewriter. She says that a friends of her family gave it a long time ago. Probably old stock from a closed shop??

After so many years closed, I expected to find rust on some parts or sticky oil, but the machine is in perfect conditions and the mechanism feel very free and soft. 

Uwe wrote:

It's absolutely gorgeous, what a great find! And it's great to see how it was originally packed for transport. I'm mesmerized by how white the plastic is; I assumed the plastic on my Linea 98 was originally off-white, but could it have yellowed that much? Then again mine is a 1973 model and maybe Olivetti changed the colours over the years? It's something I should really look into.

Olivetti change the colours during years. The white Linea 98 is older and the white/grey are newer. The last Linea 98 in Spain comes mainly in grey, with black plastic carriage return lever

01-3-2023 14:28:53  #5

Congratulations !  And thank-you for sharing photos of your lucky find with us all.

Board footera