You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-3-2023 18:51:23  #41

Re: Olivetti Lettera 36

Sorry...I will take better photos tomorrow when it is not snowing.

Mt metal latches do lock...if only I had a key.

06-3-2023 09:33:44  #42

Ha, ha. One of my Spanish cases has latches like Pete's case, lockable, and the other has latches like Uwe's case, not lockable. I have not counted the ribs nor photographed the inside designs, but could be persuaded to when the weather warms up, if anyone thinks it's important.

06-3-2023 11:57:52  #43

Photos taken outdoors of my case.

Note that one of the snap-in retainer-blocks is missing from the upper lid of the case ( location circled in red ).

06-3-2023 12:36:05  #44

Pete E. wrote:

Mt metal latches do lock...if only I had a key.

I've had good luck making my own keys for various cases using a Dremel tool on blanks cut from those expansion slot cover plates we used to find on desktop PCs.  Most of these case locks use a simple pattern and are not individually keyed.

Here is what an original Olivetti key looks like:

06-3-2023 12:51:33  #45

I'll have to find my 36 because I'm more interested now to see if its case differs in any way.

Jim, that's super resourceful, and I assume it was a project in the spirit of challenge and fun rather than a necessity. I've never understood - maybe someone can explain it to me - the logic behind locked typewriter cases. If someone has decided to steal your typewriter, wouldn't it be far easier to take the machine using its case rather than opening it up and carrying away the typewriter on its own? Unless the case is bolted down to a surface, the lock is pointless. I suppose if you had something of value along with the typewriter inside the case, a lock might prevent that from being stolen by someone who didn't want the machine. I'm stretching here...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-3-2023 13:50:48  #46

Hi Uwe,

Would locking the case make it a bit more secure when carrying the case with a machine inside ? 

Maybe having the latch locked in place makes an un-expected opening and dumping of the machine to the ground a bit more remote chance of happening.

Funny...all the machines with a case key that I have picked up had the case key secured with old twine to the case handle.

But since I never carry a full typewriter case one-handed by the handle...having a key is only desirable for me, as a collector, to have a machine complete "with all the trimmings" if possible.

06-3-2023 14:33:59  #47

Uwe wrote:

... snip .... I've never understood - maybe someone can explain it to me - the logic behind locked typewriter cases.  ... snip ....

I always thought it was simply to keep the kids from pounding on it. Or a dorm-mate from spilling beer on it. Or to keep the stewards on the voyage from using up your ribbon. Or to help keep it from springing open unexpectedly (note the very thoughtful double catches on later Smith Corona metal cases; I know that doesn't depend on the lock, but it does indicate some thought on the subject).

06-3-2023 15:28:44  #48

Uwe wrote:

Jim, that's super resourceful, and I assume it was a project in the spirit of challenge and fun rather than a necessity.

The first time was out of necessity, because the typewriter I received was already locked in its case with no key to be found.  Rather than destroy the lock, I made a quick and dirty key to open it.

The second time was because a different case had a tendency to open on its own when moved about and flexed, and a locked latch prevented that - but I had no key to lock it until, again, I made one.

18-7-2023 10:19:31  #49

Looks like an Underwood version of the Olivetti Lettera 36 came out as well.  It was called the Underwood 660 model.  Running on SGW this week.

I like the case colour and the colours of the machine.   Case lid is missing one of its snap-in retainer blocks (near the right side of the carriage).

Not sure I like the small-ish size of the ribbon cover, though.  Proportions seem a bit off. 

And the key-tops are not in the Cooper Black style of font.

18-7-2023 10:21:08  #50

If anyone scores this machine and you find it needs new belts, here are the ones I put on my Lettera 36.  Assume that same belts would work for this Underwood 660 machine. I got 2 sets of toothed v-belts from this on-line outfit : https://vbeltoutlet.com/ The motor side belt was : 145 teeth long, 5 mm wide, and a 2.0 mm tooth pitch. The power-roller side belt was : 153 teeth long, 5 mm wide, and a 2.0 mm tooth pitch. p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120% }a:link { so-language: zxx }

Board footera