You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-3-2023 09:52:48  #1

1980's Smith Corona Deville Electric breakdown and service.

This is my first encounter with repair and service/restore on a 1980's Smith Corona Deville Electric "Spool ink ribbon" model (not cartridge).
Sneakpeak verdict: made overseas, not as solid as the SCM Series 6 electrics from the 60/70's. Cheap assembly and materials. But, does function and work well as intended.

This is a "catch and release". . originally from Goodwill for 10 dollars. Type slugs were sticky and some stuck, innards filthy, some key buttons off or loose, in other words. . . not a "golden like new" Goodwill find, just a generic.  If not for restore and service, it might have ended up in the trash, now, it has another life.

After pics only, before pics were nasty and filthy.
Smith Corona Deville Electric 1980's +-
All plastic body and parts.

Snap lid with hinge for spool access:

Everything is minimal. What could be cut out and still be functional has been.  There is no solid internal frame as in the SCM Series 6 Electrics.
1 screw into a plastic trim piece on each side under the carriage is enough to remove the top cover.

Lot's of plastic parts and plastic gears. Use of thin string "cable" here for carriage return, etc.
Thin metal support and plastic mini pulley.

Double belts on the motor pulley.  Setup is not user service friendly.

Notice the minimal support for the on/off roller switch.  Everything is light and minimal on this typewriter.

4 screws into the plastic lower pan/tray with metal slide slot washers (don't lose them) hold the entire mechanical assembly.  Screws in this machine go into plastic so they can only be removed and installed so many times before the plastic get's worn out.  But, disassembly is very quick and simple.

rear view

Ready to go back into the plastic carrying case and back into the "wild". Hopefully many more "typers" to enjoy using it.

10-3-2023 12:17:18  #2

Re: 1980's Smith Corona Deville Electric breakdown and service.

The build quality is no surprise as these were made in Singapore.  Just about on par with the early dot matrix printers of the same era.

I have a Sterling Automatic 12 that looks nearly identical.  It's slightly older, from 1976.  For $9.99, it was worth it just for the soft vinyl case.  These would make good first machines for a new typospherian, though.  It's hard to find any faults with it, other than the materials used, which may affect its longevity under actual operation.  I like that they use regular ribbons instead of cartridges, but my Sterling uses the smaller-than-standard-size spools, like the ones on the Corsair.  Does the Deville use standard 2" spools?

Mine is just waiting to be given away to the next friend or family member that shows an interest in typewriters...

10-3-2023 14:11:27  #3

OregonJim wrote:

The build quality is no surprise as these were made in Singapore.  Just about on par with the early dot matrix printers of the same era.

I have a Sterling Automatic 12 that looks nearly identical.  It's slightly older, from 1976.  For $9.99, it was worth it just for the soft vinyl case.  These would make good first machines for a new typospherian, though.  It's hard to find any faults with it, other than the materials used, which may affect its longevity under actual operation.  I like that they use regular ribbons instead of cartridges, but my Sterling uses the smaller-than-standard-size spools, like the ones on the Corsair.  Does the Deville use standard 2" spools?

Mine is just waiting to be given away to the next friend or family member that shows an interest in typewriters...

mini spools

10-3-2023 16:58:16  #4

SCM sold this machine in the UK with a light blue casing as the S301 amongst other names.  Not one of my favourites to repair, to say the least !  Even worse than the horrible SCM Corsair !  

10-3-2023 17:44:07  #5

Gents, thanks for the review and feedback.  Think I will stop with the Series 6 electric machines.  I like mine more than my Series 5 electric.

10-3-2023 18:41:12  #6

Pete E. wrote:

Gents, thanks for the review and feedback.  Think I will stop with the Series 6 electric machines.  I like mine more than my Series 5 electric.

After doing a "catch and release" (repair/service/etc) on a whole range of SCM electric manuals from the Series 6 until  they ended production in the early 80's/late 70's, there's a definite peak of quality and so forth, then a change in tech, etc.
IE: the Electra 120's, if a good one, really do represent a good blend of electric assist but otherwise is a Series 6 SCM manual.  The 250 Secretarials with the full length rubber feet, etc, are built like tanks and made for all day commercial typing, Even the steel cast bodies on the 2200 cartridge models still had similar innards. But, when the switch to all plastic bodies came in, and so forth, then there's a big change in typing feel (subjective) as well. IMHO.
Just my o2 of course.
I think I'll stick with the long lived Chevelle SS 396 or Big Block Oldsmobile station wagon, the series 6 electrics as covered in the shop manuals.
Besides, now that I've got the "Pete Recommended drive belt "O" rings at 50 in a bag for 15 bucks, I've got to use them up!"
k

Board footera