You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-3-2023 17:33:49  #1

How rare is a Fox No.4 Upstrike?

I recently heard in a YouTube video that there are only 50ish known Fox no. 4 Upstrike typewriters in existence??? Are they really that rare? I know someone selling one for a pretty penny, but if it’s that rare I might snap it up lol. Thank you for any help you can give me.

11-3-2023 10:55:39  #2

Re: How rare is a Fox No.4 Upstrike?

One just sold on eBay for $150 USD, and there was only one bid. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-3-2023 16:39:31  #3

Uwe wrote:

One just sold on eBay for $150 USD, and there was only one bid. 

Dang. I wish I could have grabbed that one lol.

11-3-2023 18:01:24  #4

It's a different type of collector than myself who buys those machines. I'm not at all interested in early machines, but that's because I prefer the more practical, mid-century models. On the flip side, there's a guy in my area who only buys the early and perceived-to-be-rare models. I think he predominantly displays his typewriters behind glass whereas I prefer to use what I buy. Suum cuique...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-3-2023 19:22:09  #5

Uwe wrote:

It's a different type of collector than myself who buys those machines. I'm not at all interested in early machines, but that's because I prefer the more practical, mid-century models. On the flip side, there's a guy in my area who only buys the early and perceived-to-be-rare models. I think he predominantly displays his typewriters behind glass whereas I prefer to use what I buy. Suum cuique...

Don’t get me wrong, when I get this typewriter going, I don’t care how old it is, I’m going to use it lol. My current “daily driver” typewriter is a 1914 L.C. Smith model 5 I bought from a thrift shop and fixed up, and I love it. I only hope I’ll be able to get used to the upstrike action and not being able to see what I type, and in the case of my Smith Premier No. 4, it having separate keyboards for upper and lower case letters 🤣

Board footera