You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-3-2023 21:53:04  #1

Sears "The Graduate"

I spotted this 1980 Sears electric in a local thrift store and couldn't resist.  It instantly reminded me of the 1967 movie "The Graduate".  (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061722/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0)

There were several models (made by Nakajima?) that are slight variations on the same design.  Sears sold "The Scholar", "The Communicator", "The Achiever", and this one - "The Graduate".  I think there were even more.

It was cheap, so I didn't bother to plug it in or test it in the store.  When I got home, I found out that it was dead.  That explains the price.  After taking off the shell, I discovered that the main drive belt was severely stretched and folded over on itself.  The rubber was the consistency of oatmeal.  Yuck!

Duane at Phoenix Typewriter says that the belts for these machines are impossible to find.  However, I found one in my junk drawer that was a perfect fit.  After replacing the belt and giving the typewriter a typical cleaning, it was working again like new.  It seems to be a solid little typer, and the power return is snappy without being jarring.  Same for the power backspace and repeating keys.  For a 43 year old, plastic-cased machine, it has held up rather well.  I can't find anything wrong with it.

17-3-2023 07:29:56  #2

Re: Sears "The Graduate"

I think they were going after that "stepped piramid" look for its styling.

Nice colour scheme.

Is the "paper advance" key like the vertical space-bar key on other machines ?

17-3-2023 10:58:09  #3

jim
Nice typer and great job getting it back to new.
Is it a "keeper"?

k

17-3-2023 12:08:53  #4

Pete E. wrote:

Is the "paper advance" key like the vertical space-bar key on other machines ?

Yes.  In the Sears catalog, they call it a "powered paper injector".  I suppose that's one way to think of it...

Kalani wrote:

Is it a "keeper"?

It is for now, if only for the fact that it reminds me of several childhood adventures I had at Sears.

I'm also partial to typewriters that have an un-shifted apostrophe key - makes it easier/faster to type for me.

17-3-2023 19:03:00  #5

Jim,

Were these made in Japan by that time ?

18-3-2023 01:32:28  #6

Pete E. wrote:

Jim,

Were these made in Japan by that time ?

Yes, by Nakajima near as I can tell.  It's definitely a different design than my Silver-Seiko-made Royal electrics from the same time period.

18-3-2023 10:01:41  #7

OregonJim wrote:

I'm also partial to typewriters that have an un-shifted apostrophe key - makes it easier/faster to type for me.

That alone is worth the price of admission to me!

Board footera