You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-3-2023 13:33:40  #11

Re: Faster typing = WORSE than slow typing

Electronics generate heat.  That heat causes electrolytic capacitors to dry out, chips eventually die of thermal shock, contacts oxidize, and batteries lose capacity.   Anything electronic is, by nature, going to have a very limited lifetime.

22-3-2023 20:36:38  #12

Re: Faster typing = WORSE than slow typing

kanar,
I have found that each typewriter, whether manual or electric, precision made in Germany or Switzerland, or with snappy or "foggy" action, has, at least for me, a maximum typing speed before "key traffic jams", and also an optimal speed (not too fast or rushed but not slow) where errors are minimized.
I learned to "touch type" for 3 years in the late 60's in Typing Purgatory Class. While others were there, often, for easy credits and to kill time, I was motivated to type very well. We had typewriters in our family business office that I could use, and also in the libraries.  Papers in High School and at the University were required to be typewritten. And, I typed. . a lot! On manuals up to 60 wpm. 80-90+ on the newfangled IBM Selectrics.
But, now, I've learned to accept a certain amount of "natural errors" as a result of arthritis and some nerve damage in my fingers, yet. . .still make a strong effort to make a presentable page.
My "keeper" typewriters, whether manual or electric, are those that are pleasant to use and result in the best typing result with fewest errors. So far, Olympia's, Hermes 3000 though action seems stiffer than a snappy Royal QDelx newer model, and for electrics, SCM series 6 electra 120's, and the 2200/2500's, Also the Coronet Electric 10.
The fun in all this is finding the best typewriters, as a writer, to fit me, as well as the "tinkering with typewriters factor".
k

Board footera