You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-3-2023 08:06:15  #1

New Royal 10 owner: Type bars only lifting up 1"?

Feeling a bit nostalgic, I recently purchased a late 1920's(?) Royal 10, despite the fact that I know nothing about antique typewriters.  For the first few minutes, it seemed to be working (type bar hitting ribbon/platen), but then something happened... Now none of the type bars will lift up more than ~1", the space bar won't move the platen, etc.  My gut tells me that something got switched on (or off?), and so hopefully it's a simple fix, but I can't figure it out, and want to type something!

Any advice?

Thank you!

25-3-2023 11:52:17  #2

Re: New Royal 10 owner: Type bars only lifting up 1"?

Usually, and normally, the cause of this is that you have reached the right-hand margin. Is that the case for you? If so, the push the carriage back over to the right and see if it works. If not, then give us more details and how it is acting.

25-3-2023 13:43:53  #3

Thank you for your help!  Unfortunately, that didn't seem to work.  I pushed the carriage to the right, but hitting the type bars and the space bar still won't move the carriage to the left.  See photo.  Any ideas?

[img]blob:https://typewriter.boardhost.com/bd5d51fd-9b98-4ab3-a190-a145f6cd5130[/img]

25-3-2023 13:58:13  #4

The line lock mechanism may be stuck in the engaged position.

25-3-2023 14:06:38  #5

So forgive my ignorance, but where would I find the line lock mechanism?  I have a copy of the original manual, but don't see anything in it called "line lock".  Thanks!

25-3-2023 17:43:23  #6

The line lock is an automatic function that prevents you from typing when you reach the margin. The mechanism is triggered by the margin stop and engages the line-lock bail into a position that prevents the keylevers from being depressed. When it is operating properly, it disengages when you return the carriage. If the mechanism is not working properly, the line lock can get stuck. This can be as simple as it just being dirty, or it could be a mechanical issue.

25-3-2023 17:54:28  #7

I don't know where to find a service manual for the Royal 10, but the service manuals for the later Royals will describe the line lock function. It will look a little different, because the margin release and some of the links are in different places, but the general principals should be similar. The Ames Typewriter Mechanical Training Manual Vol. 1 will show how the line lock worked on the 40's Royals if you want a general idea of how this function works. That can be found at the bottom of the page here.

I am not saying it is definitely a line lock issue, but from what you described I believe it is a strong possibility.

Board footera