You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-3-2023 09:06:56  #31

Re: New Drive Belt source for Smith Corona Electra 120??

Pete E. wrote:

William and Jim,

Thanks for your additional info.

I have a new-to-me S-C 250 electric machine on my work bench this week.  Will try some of these externally cogged v-belts.

This 250 has that 2-speed motor set up...yet the power return is not quite the battering-ram I was expecting.  Surprisingly on the more tame-side.

I noticed that the later model Smith Corona Electrics; 1200, 2200, 2500, Deville, XT, etc, with the "flat cogged" (non-"V" belts) (cartridge based) (but series 6 based) models have a "softer" power return.  And, the one's with the clam shell cast metal enclosures are more stable and quieter as well.
**I'm going to get around to doing a size match to what's available online for these flat cogged belt type SCM typewriters. Soon.
Also, I've been working on a number of the 250/secretarials and there does seem to be some machine variances, as you mention, as far as some are "tamer" than others, smoother, and others more "primitive" (correct term?). I don't know the reason why such large variances, either wear and tear or just personalities.

k

09-3-2023 10:18:14  #32

Kalani,

For my Olivetti Lettera 36, I used this on-line outfit for the flat, toothed belts I needed.

https://vbeltoutlet.com/

Shipping was from China was about $ 30...so I got other pairs and spares I needed for other machines, too. 

Got them in my home in about 1.5 weeks, total.  Quality of the belts was very good.

09-3-2023 12:12:10  #33

That's interesting, Pete.  I wonder if the gearing is any different - it would be interesting to compare it to my Electra 220.

29-3-2023 16:47:23  #34

I was wondering if anyone actually measured the length of good condition vee belts on the Electra 120?

I thought that I saw a video from Duane Jensen that left me the impression the two belts are not the same length...

Daniel

29-3-2023 18:34:17  #35

Never mind folks!

I took the belts out of my 1964 SCM Electra 120, made in Canada (it might be different than thebones made in the USA).

The front belt is actually 311 mm long but I would settle for 310 mm while the rear one (with the silver mark) is 320 mm long. Measured by walking the outside flat side on a measuring tape.

The rear belt has a pretty bad set that has not gotten better since October 2021, when I became its new owner.

Daniel

29-3-2023 19:57:14  #36

Ixzed23 wrote:

Never mind folks!

I took the belts out of my 1964 SCM Electra 120, made in Canada (it might be different than thebones made in the USA).

The front belt is actually 311 mm long but I would settle for 310 mm while the rear one (with the silver mark) is 320 mm long. Measured by walking the outside flat side on a measuring tape.

The rear belt has a pretty bad set that has not gotten better since October 2021, when I became its new owner.

Daniel

Keep in mind that the central pulley (the one that both belts attach to) is not on a fixed shaft - it moves.  When the machine is running, the pulley is not in the same position as it is when at rest.  So, a pair of 315mm belts work just fine.     

29-3-2023 20:31:54  #37

Thanks Jim.

Two belts of 315 mm would work.  I assume it would cause the typebar to hit the platen faster than if the rear belt was 320 mm long.

I am also exploring the possibility of using green PU type round belting that can be cut to any size and fused to itself with heat.

Daniel

29-3-2023 21:08:36  #38

PU belts sound interesting.  Do they seem to be "grippy" enough?  It would be convenient to make your own belts of any size from that stuff...  

29-3-2023 22:12:00  #39

Ixzed23 wrote:

Thanks Jim.

Two belts of 315 mm would work. I assume it would cause the typebar to hit the platen faster than if the rear belt was 320 mm long.... snip ...
Daniel

Why would you assume that??

29-3-2023 22:16:30  #40

Ixzed23 wrote:

Never mind folks!

Daniel

Aloha Daniel,
In one of my earlier posts, I have a picture of using two 315 mm belts per the links and sources given me on this thread.  I have tried them on a number of Electra 120's, also 250's.  There are some variances between machines that small adjustments in motor positions and other adjustments can't cover.  On some Electra 120's, two 315 mm belts were just too tight to get on.  On others, they were mountable but too tight for good motor bearing life.  And, in others, they fit just fine.  This is where the greater "stretchy" tolerance of the various sizes of "O" ring type belts, also on this thread, come in handy.  And, even with the "O" ring belts, sometimes a combination of 2 different sizes works better than identical size belts.  The rear belt has to clear the body to carriage trim plate without being too tight, and yet with enough flex to allow the center pulley to slide up and down on its pivot arm.  Same for the front belt to the drive bar.
If two 315 mm V belts work for you, I have the serial numbers and sources upthread, then great.

Have you tried the "O" rings yet instead of pursuing V belts?
k

Board footera