You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-4-2023 13:51:00  #1

Wanted: Brother JP-3 service manual regarding escapement settings

I have a Montgomery Ward Signature 513(JP-3) that I am attempting to fix the escapement.  This has 3 eccentric screw settings, 2 in on the front plate and 1 in the rear that is unable to be accessed unless the whole escapement is removed.  Would love to know what sequence and settings that a manual might offer as this is one of the most frustrating tasks that I have encountered.  The carriage either runs free or is totally locked...can't find a happy medium.  All parts appear ok as there is no evidence of missing or broken parts.  I have been playing with this for weeks and am not getting anywhere.  I got this through SGW so don't know its history.  Hint:  When I received the typewriter the drawband was not attached.  So, if anyone could share the escapement chapter of the manual, that would be greatly appreciated.

07-4-2023 07:35:43  #2

Re: Wanted: Brother JP-3 service manual regarding escapement settings

Glad to see you got some replies from Ted Munk over in the FaceBook group.  Let us know how you resolve this.

10-4-2023 19:40:22  #3

Re: Wanted: Brother JP-3 service manual regarding escapement settings

Ted Munk was immensely helpful with the escapement manual pages.  The culprit was a misaligned Pawl lever and a lot of bad settings with the adjustment screws. It took several hours but I got it working fine.  After I address a few more minor issues, I think I will have a decent typer.

Board footera