You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-4-2023 14:22:38  #11

Re: A Good Looking Case Gets My Attention Everytime...

There are other differences between them, all typical of the price-tiered model variations that have existed since the dawn of portables. I've never made more than a cursory examination of these examples that I own, but a closer inspection might reveal other, more subtle, differences too.

It's important to remember that some differences could be a result in manufacturing changes from one year to the next, and not model-specific differences. Other differences might also be explained by a typewriter's repair history. What I'm trying to say is that when it comes to subtle differences between models other than feature sets, I never reach any conclusions unless a respectable sample size exists. 

Royal Royalite (1966) versus Royal Parade (1965)

Standard versus Variable Line Spacing

Fixed versus adjustable touch control (also possibly keylever wire)

No tabulator versus tabulator with keyboard controls

Single versus three-position vibrator

Different ribbon transport mechanism (manufacturing year, model difference, or other?) 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-4-2023 15:59:10  #12

What character pitch are these?

The typewriters on the TWDB have rules that measure either 105 or 90 characters. Do they really have 9" platens? Seems big for a compact typewriter (or maybe I'm thinking to much like a skyriter).

10-4-2023 10:21:04  #13

robmck wrote:

Do they really have 9" platens? Seems big for a compact typewriter (or maybe I'm thinking to much like a skyriter).

Yes, it was one of the selling points:
Wide cylinder has a paper capacity of 9 3/4"— large enough for big envelopes

Image from https://royaltypewriters.blogspot.com/2013/09/all-about-royalite.html?m=1

10-4-2023 11:11:21  #14

Thanks Lorenz!

I love that you sent this particular image as I live in Seattle and have been to this store (which is being converted to office space mostly occupied by Amazon). It's fun to imagine this Royalite sitting in the street-level display.

10-4-2023 11:42:29  #15

What a nice coincidence!

10-4-2023 12:04:56  #16

robmck wrote:

The typewriters on the TWDB have rules that measure either 105 or 90 characters.

Both of the above models are 90s (see first photo).

Lau's ad is for the previous generation Royalite, but its 24 cm (9.5 in.) platen size was retained for the subsequent generation model. Actually, I think the majority of its mechanical components remained unchanged, perhaps since it already was a good performer. The model update - on the surface at least - nicely connected the Parade/Royalite ultra-portables with the portable Futura line, and to a lesser extent, the FP.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-4-2023 13:40:04  #17

"Baby Futura"...

10-4-2023 15:05:45  #18

Uwe wrote:

Actually, I think the majority of its mechanical components remained unchanged, perhaps since it already was a good performer.

Yes, that's right, the overall mechanical design stayed the same for decades. To me the difference between the early Halberg Junior and late Royalite 120 feel the same as the difference between the first Olympia SF's and the Traveller. 

11-4-2023 15:02:46  #19

My 1963-made Royal Parade (ultra-portble) came in late last evening.

Serial number of PR 56619xx places its made-date to 1963.  It is in the  Royal "safari grey" colour scheme.  Even has its metal 2" dia. spools.

Ribbon cover is all metal.  Platen is 9-3/8" wide and type is PIca at 10 cpi.  Paper bail markings go from 0-to-90 characters. 

Machine weighs in at 9.2 lbs. without it case.

The typewriter needs a good cleaning, service and a new ribbon.  Case is un-marred and only needs a cleaning and a bit of airing out.

Only issue to sort-out is that the Tab clear/set lever appears to be frozen in place.  Tab key-top does move the carriage to the existing Tab stops...so main-spring tension is good.  But right now the Tab clear/set lever is bound-up, somewhere.

More photos once my work is done.

11-4-2023 21:23:23  #20

Nice!

Board footera