You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-4-2023 02:44:35  #21

Re: A Good Looking Case Gets My Attention Everytime...

Looks good. What is your opinion about the typing experience?

12-4-2023 08:50:20  #22

Hi Laurenz,

Will report back once I do a good cleaning.  Lots of type-levers are gunked up and slow to return, etc.

12-4-2023 12:31:23  #23

Thanks, I look forward to your report.

12-4-2023 16:23:49  #24

Congratulations! Looking forward to your experience / review when you've got it cleaned up and had a chance to play with it a bit.

12-4-2023 19:30:03  #25

Looks like we will warm up this Sat/Sun for typewriter spa-day in my open garage...

But here is a size/dimension comparison of the Parade with one of my Futura 800s.

The biggest difference is in the total height of the machines.  The Futura 800 is nearly 2x as tall as th Parade,

Futura 800 vs. Parade weight (without cases) is :    13.4 lbs. versus 9.2 lbs.

13-4-2023 13:38:54  #26

Definitely looks like a baby Futura.

This thread has turned my radar towards the Parades and Royalties. Today, this Fiesta turned up in my inbox: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-BABY-BLUE-Royal-FIESTA-portable-manual-TYPEWRITER-Holland-Netherlands/334830070583

It looks like a Parade by a different name. Anyone know the difference? The only one in the TWDB is Richard Polt's, which sounds like a Parade.

15-4-2023 12:15:40  #27

Bad news....good news on the Tabulator function :

I traced the Tab set/clear linkage from the key-top lever all the all the way back to the Tabulator bar on the rear of the machine once I got the body cowlings off.

At some previous time in the life of this machine, the Tabulator mechanism which engages the Tab stops on the Tab bar must have been acting up...so the mechanism was removed.

After struggling with the possibility of buying a parts-machine to make this one's Tabulator work...I had another idea...

I removed the key-top lever and all the linkages back to the rear of the machine.

I removed all Tab stops on the Tab rail but I left the small metal Tab stops every 8-9 spaces and epoxied them in place in their "engage" positions.

After 2-3 hours of drying time for the epoxy, I put it all back together and now have a Royal Parade with so-called "factory fixed Tab stops".  Tab stops every 8-9 spaces all the way across the platen width.

Tabulator function now resolved.

Body cowling and ribbon cover got their new paint jobs as well today.

Tomorrow it will all go back together and get the finishing touch of a new, fresh silk ribbon on the original metal spools.

15-4-2023 12:46:43  #28

Hi Rob,

I do think that Fiesta is a Parade re-branded. 

16-4-2023 01:55:02  #29

Pete E. wrote:

Tabulator function now resolved.

Thumbs up for creativity

16-4-2023 12:52:27  #30

Ready for a few more decades...

Typing feels a bit like a Futura 800...with key action a bit more loose.  And very similar to my two Olympia Travellers.

Platen is remarkably soft and I can leave a deep fingernail impression in it.

I did add sound felt on the bottom panel and under the ribbon cover...so now is less metallic sounding.

I did leave the original factor colour of grey/taupe for the carriage covers and metal.  I did not want to loose factory painted markings with a repaint on those.

And a little reminder note (in laminating plastic) on the inside of the case-lid for a future owner about the Tabulator function and modifications.

Board footera