You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-5-2023 07:32:59  #1

Olympia SM-7 questions

Just acquired this delightful machine from 1962, my first Olympia, and I have a few questions.  The ribbon reversal mechanism:  Does it require rivets in the ribbon to work properly or is it just tension that reverses it?  I loaded some ribbons with rivets and it did not work that well.  There is no mention of rivets in the manual either.  On another matter I have read somewhere that the SM-7 model is just a SM-3 or 4 with a more modern outer shell.  Is that true and would a 1955 SM service manual apply to the SM-7?   BTW Duane Jenson's video on reducing the shift key pressure really helped.

11-5-2023 08:19:43  #2

Re: Olympia SM-7 questions

Hi Martin,

I do not use eyelet ribbons on my SM3, SM4, SM7's.  Just keep the reversing mechanisms very clean.

I think the SM7 is very much alike with the SM4...except with body styling and cowlings.

The SM3 and SM5 have manually set Tab stops.  The SM4 and the SM7 have the key-top Tab set and clear buttons.  SM2 has no Tab functions at all.

Not sure what the SM Service Manual you mentioned contains...but there are some differences amongst these SM's to keep in mind.

FWIW...

My SM3 weighs 14.6 lbs.
My SM4 weighs 14.8 lbs.
My two SM7's weigh 15.2 lbs, each.

Weights above do not include their case weights.

11-5-2023 08:45:58  #3

Thanks Pete.  That was very helpful.  MY machine came with the Senatorial typeface and 11 cpi...I couldn't be happier.

11-5-2023 14:30:22  #4

Glad to be of help, Martin...

You might find this "summary sheet" helpful as well.  I had forgotten that the SM5 lost the touch-control adjustment.

11-5-2023 15:18:29  #5

MartinD wrote:

Thanks Pete.  That was very helpful.  MY machine came with the Senatorial typeface and 11 cpi...I couldn't be happier.

Wonderful!  The SM7 is a favorite machine of many typists. 

The Senatorial typeface is fun and its 2.3 mm per caracter pitch is a happy balance for size.

Glad you also found a way to adjust the carriage shift for easier typing.

Daniel

Board footera