You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-5-2023 14:53:33  #1

Royal De Luxe

Hey guys! I recently got a Royal de luxe with the number RA-2800687. I cannot find this on the type writer database or anywhere online! I just want to know more info on it. Does anyone have the same problem? Or know where I can find more info on this TypeWriter

14-5-2023 16:32:13  #2

Re: Royal De Luxe

Hi Dana,

Is your machine a Royal Deluxe or a Royal Quiet Deluxe ?

Is the serial number you posted correct...is it possible you have one too many digits ?

14-5-2023 16:34:50  #3

Hi! sorry it is a royal quiet de luxe and the serial number is exactly how it shows

14-5-2023 18:02:32  #4

Looking on the Royal Typewriter Model Serial Number Database (typewriterdatabase.com) page, it looks like the RA designation was for the "Speed control" feature made from '53-'55. I've no idea what that means, but the TWDB says, ""RA" serial prefix Quiet De Luxe introduces "Speed Control" motor tension control, similar to "Carriage Control" on Standard Model HH. This feature vanishes with the end of the RA prefix QDLs in 1956."

I wonder if that's a tab brake by another name.

The number 2,800,687 corresponds to 1954.

14-5-2023 18:03:16  #5

Hi Dana

Just a couple of quick questions for clarification. Where are you located (Province or State is close enough)? and where was the typewriter made (USA or Canada)? Serial numbers of machines made in Canada do not always gel with listings on the Typewriter Base.

However, from what I can find on the database, the RA- prefix indicates your machine has the "Speed Control" (small knob on the left side of the body to increase or decrease mainspring tension) and the serial number you give puts your unit as being built in 1954. Hope this helps,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

14-5-2023 18:06:33  #6

Hello, 
I am based in the US and i think type writer is US as well. It is in great condition and my first one. I found it in a yard sale!

14-5-2023 18:19:26  #7

Hi Again Dana

Looks like both Rob and I answered at almost the same time I believe we both found the answer to your question. When you're looking up the serial number of a particular typewriter, you probably won't find your S/N listed. Therefore, you find the two serial number forming the bracket in which your S/N falls. 1954 production year started with S/N RA-2787735 and 1955 production year started with S/N RA-2977900. Your S/N falls between these two numbers making it a 1954. Take care an happy typing.

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.

14-5-2023 19:32:45  #8

Hi Dana

For a PDF copy of an owner's manual which should work for your typewriter, go to: RoyalQDL1952.pdf (xavier.edu)  Although the manual is for a machine 2 years older than yours, most of the information will be quite relevant. All the best,

Sky

14-5-2023 19:36:00  #9

Sanp-shot from the TWDB web site :

14-5-2023 19:38:54  #10

Thanks Dana...

For the older Royal Deluxe, you serial number was too long...so thus my earlier questions.  I suspected your machine to be a Royal Quiet Deluxe but wanted to confirm with you.

Board footera