You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-5-2023 12:37:19  #1

Is The Empire Aristocrat The Same As The Hermes Rocket?

Hello, I have recently bought an Empire Aristocrat typewriter and I notice it looks very similar to a Hermes Rocket/Baby and it feels like it too. Is the just a coincidence or is it a different thing.

24-5-2023 13:49:39  #2

Re: Is The Empire Aristocrat The Same As The Hermes Rocket?

Not a coincidence at all !  The Empire Aristocrat is the British licence-built version of the Hermes Baby/Rocket and is identical in every respect except the name.  The factory in West Bromwich followed the Hermes design faithfully and every time Hermes updated the design, followed within a month or two.  This continued until about 1960, when Smith-Corona bought the factory to use as an assembly plant for the Corsair.  Thus the factory went from making the best featherweight portable in the world to the worst 

24-5-2023 14:58:47  #3

Thats good to know! I am thinking of buying one for about £30.

24-5-2023 14:59:43  #4

Another one of course! A later design of it that is.

25-5-2023 05:18:31  #5

The only thing with all of these - whether branded as Hermes or Empire - is that they left the factory with a relatively hard platen from new.  60 or more years down the line, those platens are usually rock-hard resulting in the typeface cutting through the paper (and the ribbon too).  So budget for re-rubbered platen, which will cost four times as much as the £30 you would be paying for the machine. This advice, incidentally, applies to nearly all Hermes models, including the 3000 and Ambassador.

26-5-2023 08:50:48  #6

thetypewriterman wrote:

... This continued until about 1960, when Smith-Corona bought the factory to use as an assembly plant for the Corsair. 

It's worth noting that the Smith-Corona Skyriter was produced by British Typewriter in the Bromwich factory prior to the 6Y Corsair. In my records I've recorded this 4Y example as a 1962 Empire Corona, but I believe the first year for this model was 1960. I don't think the Corsair reared its ugly head until 1964.

I've always considered the Empire Corona to be a transition example of the Smith-Corona take-over period; however, was the Corona initially produced under licence too by Empire (British Typewriter), or had Smith-Corona's take-over been completed by then and it was just considering the idea of continuing to market typewriters with the Empire name? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-5-2023 17:09:38  #7

As far as I know, Smith-Corona bought the Empire factory in 1960.  For the first few months, they built out the last of the Hermes-based models, marketing them as Empire Corona with a blue-grey hammered enamel finish.  Then they went to the Skywriter exactly as you say.  These were also marketed as Empire Corona.  Finally over the the Corsair-style machines, also marketed as Empire Corona for a few years until the word Empire was dropped and they were subsequently sold as Smith-Corona - secondary labelling SCM (for Smith Corona Marchant since by then they had taken over the Marchant adding machine firm)  Having worked on a very few Skywriters, I can say that they were slightly better quality than the awful Corsair and its' variants.  Still not exactly German quality though 

27-5-2023 08:52:53  #8

And to think that the Corsair was Smith-Corona's response to what was being exported from Japan at the time. I can't think of a more dramatic typewriter comparison than the juxtaposition of a JP-1 with a Corsair.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-5-2023 22:37:00  #9

So, any thoughts on the English-made 4Y Skyriter vs the US-made 3Y and earlier?

28-5-2023 13:37:37  #10

Uwe - I couldn't agree more.  Although also a 'cheap' machine, the Brother is streets ahead, also Silver-Reed and Nakajima.  Word has it that Smith-Corona were selling a lot of Corsairs to the British Woolworths (long ago separated from the American parent firm), and they kept driving the price down until SCM were only making £1 on each machine.  One of the factors that drove SCM to the wall.

Robmck - Since I haven't seen any USA made 3Y Skywriters, I cannot comment other than to say that following the pattern of each succeeding model getting worse, the 3Y was likely to be slightly better.

Board footera