You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-6-2023 02:45:19  #1

Princess 300 key lock?

Hi,
may Name is Chris - Im new here and to the world of typewriters, but have a good knowledge in repair an restoration.

During external cleaning and handling the machine a spring came off. By this moment the bar which is unerneath the keyboard is now "locking" the keys to maximum half travel. I suggest this is a kind of transport lock - so that in the position of carrying around the types not fall itself on the platen?
Before the spring came off the machine worked and typing was possible. Now its just possible if I pull this bar by hand into up position. It falls down by gravity

I need an advice how to repair this mechanism. It's not a problem for me to dig into the machine. At the moment I have anyway removed the types to clean and already repaired the carriage. I also found out, that this bar is connected to the rear of the machine, but I cant figure out whats the actual purpose or working of this lever design.

Thanks in advance
Chris

13-6-2023 13:32:45  #2

Re: Princess 300 key lock?

Chris,

I do not have a Princess 300...so can only offer up some generalized advice.

Here is a link to a User-Manual for the 300...in case you do not have one already :

https://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/Princess300.pdf

Your machine has 2 features that may be preventing the type-slugs to hit ribbon & paper :

1.  The margin-release mechanism is engaged (which is normal when you get to the end of the platen while typing.  This is Feature No. 4 in the user-manual.  That mechanism is run from the M-R key-top to the back of the machine along the back side of the carriage rail.

2.  For storage or travel, your machine also has a "carriage lock" feature which in the case of the 300 is activated with pressing the line advance lever to its downward position.  Refer to the first page of the user-manual in the section called "getting ready to use".  Some machines only "lock" the carriage from moving side-to-side...but other machines do also retard the type-slugs from striking the platen.  Since I do not own a 300...I cannot tell you what your "carriage lock" feature is supposed to do, however.

I suspect the margin-release mechanism on your 300 is acting up...especially with a loose spring as you mentioned.

Hopefully another member who has a 300 in their collection will see you posting and provide info. for you.

13-6-2023 13:42:22  #3

13-6-2023 14:18:56  #4

Hi Chris,

Look under the keyboard on the right hand side of the machine. Next to the red tab key is a metal plate with two little holes. The holes serve as spring attachment points. The right hole is for the spring that pulls back the tab key. The left hole is for the spring that pulls up the bar that locks the keys.

Hope this helps,
Lau

14-6-2023 01:06:13  #5

Hi Pete and Lau,

perfect collaboration

The right hole at my typewriter was missing the mentioned spring. I re-attached it to the hole and the back side of the bar which was a bit tricky, because of the tight space there.

Now the margin stop enganges the key lock properly and releases it as well. So my first guess of a transport lock was not correct.

In case anyone reads this. I have almost completly restored the machine by now and have good insights in the interals. So I am glad to help others with this fabolous machine as well.

Thank you
Chris

14-6-2023 20:10:25  #6

Chris,

Glad you go it sorted out.

Any chance of posting up a photo or two ?  Love to see these.

21-6-2023 09:04:18  #7

Second try, maybe someone of the admins can please delete my previous post

21-6-2023 09:09:04  #8

Vrhis,

Lovely machine.  Love the colours and the case, too.

Thanks for posting up photos !

21-6-2023 09:22:11  #9

I tried to leave the machine, except the obvious dirt in the original state. The most work went into the mechnical overhaul. I completly removed the carriage and types, as there was a decent amount of old dust, debris which seemed like somone was drilling holes into a wall with dust falling into the machine and a lot of old oil.

In my opinion the typewriter is very nice for a first oberhaul als the types are numbered and the rods connecting the types to the key levers can be easily sorted by direction of the hooks at the end facing the keys and the length.
I used a metal ruler to hang the rods and except one, which was bend and therefore seemed smaller, all were in perfect order. The layout of the rods is 22/22 means they are mirrored based on the numbers of the types.

I would suggest not to remove the springs which pull back the keys. Its a bit tricky to reassemble them and unless there is really a lot of dirt its ok the remove the oil with enough proper solvent and some towels underneath.

The design of the carriage bearing is smart, but not so easy to assemble. You have to be careful as they come off when you pull the carriage out. They are on kind of sled. For disassembly you first have to find the plastic band which is running from the spring to the left and into a hole close to the knob to turn the platen on the right side. There is one part down where you can insert this as otherwise the sprin pulls it back and unwinds. As the spring is most lickly loosening some of its strength over time i suggest to pre tension the spring 2-3 turns. This fixes the problem, that at the end the carriage of my machine was too weak to overcome the resistance from the bell lever.

To reassemble the bearings an carriage you have to imagine that the carriage at the far left and right positions is completly supported by the bearings on the rails inside the machine. So the bearing sleds have to be fully inside the machine. Thats how I got it to work. Be careful as the metal which the sleds are made off is thin.

21-6-2023 13:14:43  #10

Wow! I really nice machine in a lovely color combo. Congratulations and great work on it.

Board footera