You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-6-2023 11:39:54  #1

'51 Hermes Ambassador

Hello friends!! I recently searched for feedback on Hermes Media 3. I was curious about the Hermes typing experience, and didn't want to spend a lot of money on an overpriced Hermes 3000...
In another site I read that the machine with the typical Hermes typing experience in terms of softness was the Ambassador. In a classified ads spanish site, I found a '51 Hermes Ambassador typewriter for less price than a Hermes Media 3. It has the characteristic industrial 50's aesthetics. His presence is awesome, overeenginered, with carriage electrical return, papel injector, scissor paper guide and a lot of small details and functions.... In terms of typing experience it lives up to its fame, very soft and precise. I need to spend more time and get familiar with its touch, in order to elaborate a better feedback.... To be continued

26-6-2023 17:08:07  #2

Re: '51 Hermes Ambassador

Congratulations on your purchase.  All the internet attention seems to be on the Hermes 3000 and Baby/Rocket.  The Ambassador is under-rated and consequently cheap.  It will only be a matter of time before people realise just how good the Ambassador is.  Probably the best office manual typewriter ever made (the Olympia SG1 comes a very close second).

27-6-2023 08:25:47  #3

It's a work of art, congratulations!  

The beauty of standard typewriters is not only that they're better than portables, but as Tom pointed out, also a lot cheaper to buy (on average). I would love to get my hands on an Ambassador, but I've yet to see one come up for sale in my area.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-6-2023 12:41:03  #4

Thanks for posting...it's a lovely Hermes.

This is the first electric-version of this Model of which I have seen photos.

28-6-2023 08:59:31  #5

Thanks for your comments!! First of all, keep in mind that spanish is my first language and I´ll try to write technical english to the best of my ability. I hope don´t make big mistakes 

thetypewriterman wrote:

Congratulations on your purchase.  All the internet attention seems to be on the Hermes 3000 and Baby/Rocket.  The Ambassador is under-rated and consequently cheap.  It will only be a matter of time before people realise just how good the Ambassador is.  Probably the best office manual typewriter ever made (the Olympia SG1 comes a very close second).

Comparing the two typewriters, I believe the Ambassador inspired the Olympia designers in a few features in the SG1, like the paper injector. There is a paralelism between them in some aspects. The Ambassador design comes from 1948 while SG1 is from 1953.
It has interesting features like a easy way to dismantle the platen with two handles, and all the carriage system, only with two bolts

I´m not a typewriter expert, but in terms of high end features, the Ambassador is the most overengineered typewriter that I have seen. As a mechanical engineer, is amazing to see the quality, the details, the top end finishes of both of this '50s creations... About the typing experience, I find the Ambassador a little softer and a little pleasant than the SG1. Not big differences, but in this aspect, I can observe that the Ambassador comes with little segment mechanism and shorter type-bars, that means low inertia and less effort to acelerate each type-bar on each pulsation. (Really short type-bars for a standard typewriter of this size). I believe this is the decisive factor that incline the scale in favor of Hermes...

On the other hand, I'm experiencing escapement mechanism issues. I read another post in this forum with similar problems in the Ambassador, and prior to buy this typewritter, I saw another in Spain with this issue in a more serious way. In this typewriter, sometimes when you hit the space-bar it runs for 4-5 spaces. Not very frequently, but sometimes happens. When I opened the package box, I found the carriage blocked, surely from a lateral impact... Firts I saw that there was a misalignment in paralelism between the rack in carriage and pinion in scapement. I corrected it and got better results, but the problem persists with less frequency. I´ll apreciate your help.

Comparing the 3 big Europeans, you can see in the first pic Ambassador vs SG1, and in next pic the Olivetti Linea 98 vs Hermes. Next to it, the Linea 98 looks like a portable 

Uwe wrote:

It's a work of art, congratulations!  

The beauty of standard typewriters is not only that they're better than portables, but as Tom pointed out, also a lot cheaper to buy (on average). I would love to get my hands on an Ambassador, but I've yet to see one come up for sale in my area.

Thanks Uwe, it´s curious how cheap are the standars.... I believe people could pay you in order to get the standard out of his homes  If you can get an Ambassador, I believe that you'll loved it. 

Pete E. wrote:

Thanks for posting...it's a lovely Hermes.

This is the first electric-version of this Model of which I have seen photos.

Thanks Pete, sincerely for me, the electrical system reduces the purity of this marvel of mechanics, but it is a precious testimony of an era where manufacturing times didn´t matter, nor the prices of materials, when each factory competed with the rest to have an excellent product and the best in its class. Now, while cleaning and adjusting the machine, I remove the electric carriage return system to protect it. In any case, this machine was manufactured for 110 volts and in Spain we have 220... 

28-6-2023 16:47:59  #6

Thank you for posting pictures of  your machine. It is very interesting to see an early Ambassador.  Quite a few differences.  Different line scales, different platen ends, round keytops, crackle finish paint, different ribbon cover - all of which were quite a surprise to me.  What a shame about not being able to use the electric carriage return.  Here in England our electricity mains are 230v AC.  However, it is the law that power tools used on building sites have to be 115v for safety reasons.  Therefore, you can buy 230v to 115v transformers for building site use which come in sealed yellow plastic insulated boxes.  Sometimes they can be bought relatively cheaply.  If you have the same laws in Spain, you might also be able to buy a 220v to 110/115v transformer box which will enable you to use your Ambassador to the full !  I agree about how well engineered and thought out these machines are.  Even a tiny toothbrush head underneath the carriage to brush away any eraser crumbs each time the carriage is returned !  Only a few years ago, I saw an Ambassador on e-bay for 99p - and no-one wanted to buy it !  Yes, maybe people will pay you to take one away - but it is their loss and your gain 

29-6-2023 07:50:40  #7

In Spain I only remember a transformer from 220v to 110v for a very old fridge at my grandparents' house when I was a child (I'm 39 years old). We haven´t legislation for 110V in power tools, but I´ll consider to buy one to test the electric carriage return. This Hermes was originally selled in Italy, the "qzerty" keyboard layout is an unequivocal clue. I don´t know if in Italy, in the decade of 50's they had 110volts.

And talking about standard typewriter prices, I got this Ambassador for 50 euros, and a few months ago a Olympia SG1 from Germany for 20 + 20 (shipping cost) euros 

01-7-2023 14:13:27  #8

Forgive my ignorance...

Does the electrical on your machine only provide a power-return of the carriage ?  I notice your carriage also has a manual CR lever.  Was this design to give the typewriter user a chance of 2 ways to return the carriage at the end of a typed line >

Are the key-tops and type/slug levers not "driven" by an electrically driven power roller ?  Are they all just "manual" in their mechanics ?

01-7-2023 16:23:43  #9

Dear Pete, Hermes made three Ambassador models.  A purely manual one (the most popular here in the UK)  A manual Ambassador with electric carriage return, and A fully electric Ambassador.  The fully electric model should have been good, but wasn't.  Instead of a rubber power roll and cams to drive the typebars, Hermes used a peculiar wax-coated power roll.  It wasn't terribly reliable and if you attempted to clean the power roll with solvents, chunks of the wax would disintegrate and fall off ! 

02-7-2023 07:38:04  #10

Hi Tom,

Thanks...that is quite interesting information.

Does seem a bit unusual for Hermes to offer the "dual" carriage-return version.  I guess for folks that might travel and find themselves without electricity available, the manual CR "back-up" could have been some selling-point.

Do you know if this version was very popular with buyers ?  This is the first one I have seen via the Internet.

There is a full-manual Ambassador version available near my home.  Unfortunately, it comes with an extra wide carriage, price tag of $ 300 USD asking.  Yet it does come with the original wooden carrying crate.  I just do not have use for such a wide carriage and think they look a bit like a monster-truck...vulgar and all.

Board footera