You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-7-2023 09:56:05  #11

Re: '51 Hermes Ambassador

Pete E. wrote:

Forgive my ignorance...

Does the electrical on your machine only provide a power-return of the carriage ?  I notice your carriage also has a manual CR lever.  Was this design to give the typewriter user a chance of 2 ways to return the carriage at the end of a typed line >

Are the key-tops and type/slug levers not "driven" by an electrically driven power roller ?  Are they all just "manual" in their mechanics ?

Hi Pete, yes the user can return the carriage with the two systems. If you remove the electrical system, the typewriter work as 100% mechanical. I upload a video of the first typing test after cleaning and servicing. Excuse the image vibration, the phone was in the same table than the typewriter...

02-7-2023 13:17:17  #12

Sounds like a very nice machine !

02-7-2023 13:20:23  #13

Here is the one For Sale on FaceBook Marketplace in Boise ID.  $ 300 asking.

If it had a regular-width carriage...I would be tempted.

02-7-2023 14:50:53  #14

Found this really good article about the 50% electric Ambassador with lots of neat info. and photos : 

https://oztypewriter.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-tale-of-two-ambassadors-amazing.html

02-7-2023 17:01:58  #15

To be honest, I have only ever seen one electric carriage return Ambassador in nearly 49 years of repairing typewriters.  The Ambassador generally wasn't sold in large numbers in the UK - mainly because it cost a lot more than other makes.  Most offices settled for an Olympia SG3 or an Adler Universal 390 instead.

03-7-2023 07:19:47  #16

Pete E. wrote:

Found this really good article about the 50% electric Ambassador with lots of neat info. and photos : 

https://oztypewriter.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-tale-of-two-ambassadors-amazing.html

Thanks for the article, very interesting.  About the typewriter with double-width carriage, it seem beatifull for me, and in pristine condition. The original wooden box is a very  nice extra. I learned typing in a Olivetti Linea 98 with double width carriage, and always preserve the inclination for this extra-wide monsters.

03-7-2023 07:46:16  #17

With 56 working machine of my collection, available space becomes an issue.

I have five (5) standard machines and the rest are portables.

I showed my wife the photos of the Hermes in its wooden case.  I told her it would be easy to add four (4) wooden legs and let the case and its machine serve as a coffee-table.  But at last...she did not go for it.

Interesting this Hermes has the decimal Tab stops key-tops and also a Tab key-top with set/clear buttons as well along the left side.

Board footera