You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-10-2014 11:26:33  #1

Help with Remington Model 17

I bought this very nice Remington on ShopGoodWill.  Everything works.  I want to start using it but it has no spools.  If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.  Thanks.

Glenn

13-10-2014 12:06:42  #2

Re: Help with Remington Model 17

The 17 uses specific Remington spools, which are easy to find. It's actually a two-piece system, a central ring that the ribbon wraps around, and a cover to go over the ribbon. It will probably work alright without the cover, but it would be better to get the complete spool. Double check your machine, maybe they're on there and you just need ribbon. If you have the original spools you can buy any typewriter ribbon, but you'll have to transfer it to the original spools.

Here's an eBay listing for the central ring to give you an idea of what it looks like. And another one here.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-10-2014 15:15:38  #3

I have the rings but not the cover.

13-10-2014 17:34:41  #4

It still shouldn't be too difficult to find. In the meantime, I think that you should be able to type without them providing you have the ribbon correctly installed.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-10-2014 17:14:08  #5

Thanks for your help.  I need a little more, however.

I have taken the cover and back off the machine and cleaned it with hot water with a bit of dishwashing detergent.  I also cleaned the keys and the outer case.  I used a toothbrush and pieces of a cotton tee shirt.  Everyting came out looking nice.  Next I am going to apply some Remington gun oil in certain places.  But before I put it back together, there is a lever sticking out from the back (you can't see it when the back cover is in place) and I have no idea what it is for.  I moves and has two positions.  Thanks again.

Glenn

14-10-2014 19:06:52  #6

I'd recommend using sewing machine oil instead. But don't just arbitrarily oil everything that moves. Typewriters need little oil and even then only for certain mechanisms. If you Google search this you should find more concise instructions on oiling.

As far as the lever is concerned, here's the back of one of my 17s. Are you talking about the one in the middle of the hole at the bottom right? If so, don't touch it if your carriage is working properly. It's used to adjust the tension of the drawband.

15-10-2014 11:28:48  #7

Its the one on the right.  I am leaving it alone.  The back of your machine is not as complicated as mine as I have a KMC model.  Serial number dates it to August, 1946.  I love it.  The size is perfect and the keys feel great when I'm typing.  I learned to type on a standard machine back in the early 60's.  My family had Royal portables which I used in high school and college.  They were ok but not as nice as the standard machines I learned on.  My grandmother had an Olympia SM3 and I liked it better than the royal portables.  So when I decided to purchase a typewriter I looked for a standard and it was between the KMC and and a Royal HH.

Sorry for rambling.  I appreciate the help and will recommend this sight to a friend who has a Corona portable.

Regards,      Glenn

15-10-2014 19:58:07  #8

The HH would have made another solid choice. I agree with you Glenn that there's a noticable difference between typing on a standard vs. a portable. I hope you can post a few pictures of your KMC - especially the back - so I can compare it to my two 17s that don't have that feature, which I think was first introduced in 1946.  

17-10-2014 15:09:48  #9

Just an update.  The machine is working perfectly and it is a real pleasure to type on.  There is a picture of the back insides a   "  Guest in The Collection: Remington Rand 17 KMC "  .  I tried copying the picture and the url to this post but the software stopped me.  You are correct in saying that the KMC feature was introduced in 1946, acoording to the Remington Database.  My machine has a serial number dating it to August of 1946, a couple of months after the KMC feature was introduced.  The history and variations of the KMC are interesting.  KMC was the feature that Remington had to drop because of a lawsuit by Royal.  Of note, I have seen one picture of a KMC Deluxe and a KMC with glass keys.  Truely a historic machine.

Board footera