You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-7-2023 10:52:48  #1

Will an SM3 fit in an SM7/8/9 case?

My SM3's case (one of those curvy silver ones) was damaged in shipping. One of the side panels is coming unglued. The case is really only useful as a dust cover at this point. The major damage seems to be the glue failing, so I'm going to attempt a repair if I can figure out how to clamp it. 

But even if I do repair it, I'm not sure I'll ever really trust it. I'm finding that it's easier to find the SM7/8/9 case (the two-tone one) than an SM3 case. Is the mounting hardware on the SM7 case compatible with the SM3 body? 

I've occasionally seen on SGW or ebay an SM3 or SM4 in the two-tone SM7 case, but I'm not sure if those are original cases, or just something that was "close enough".

23-7-2023 13:34:41  #2

Re: Will an SM3 fit in an SM7/8/9 case?

Hi Rob,

Both my SM3 and SM4 will fit and be ecured in both of my SM7 cases and vice versa.

However, my SM9 will not fit the securing latches in none of my SM3, SM4, and SM7 cases.  The securing latches on my SM9 are spread out about 1/2" more from their rear mounts...i.e. securing latches are mounted closer to the front of the machine/frame.

I assume a SM8 would follow suit with the SM9.  But I do not have a SM8 in my collection.

23-7-2023 13:55:33  #3

Thanks again Pete! 

This makes searching online a bit trickier as the SM7-9 cases look similar. I should take a trip to Bremerton and see if Paul's got one in his case stash.

23-7-2023 14:15:48  #4

Rob,

The SM9 case is 1/2" traller and 1/2" deeper that the SM3/4 and SM7 cases. 

All cases have the same width, though (i.e. 14" wide).

Board footera