You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-7-2023 19:38:47  #11

Re: Underwood Finger Flite Champion vs Deluxe

Thanks.
it’s a beauty for sure and your comments are consistent with my brief research. Definitely worthy of a show piece, but I don’t know if I would’ve been happy if I had purchased or not. 

I just retired last week and am going to be looking to sell some of the ones I’ve purchased for that purpose and this model may well have been one of those acquisitions had I bid on it. I really think I only want to keep a handful of my favorites for the long run, but I have been enjoying the search and minor amateur refurbishing I’ve been doing and thought this might be a nice retirement hobby.

24-7-2023 07:59:30  #12

Congratulations on your retirement.

I did about 4 years ago after working since I was 14 years old.

Lots of time for hobbies now.  And some days doing nothing but reading and taking naps.

24-7-2023 14:30:37  #13

I wonder: could a type bar return spring be fitted somehow under the type guide, like on a Skyriter or Series 5? Just to give type bars a little kick on the return.

As a prototype, you could swap the type guide screws for longer ones and just stick the legs of the return spring in them. If it works, a prettier solution might be to machine two grooves on the back of the type guide to hold them in place with the pressure of the guide against the segment (just like the SC machines), using the original screws. 

25-7-2023 08:08:17  #14

Hi Rob,

Good ideas...might go down that path this winter when I am always looking for in-door projects.

25-7-2023 19:28:37  #15

Had another idea for prototyping which might also be good enough for long term: Make a paper gasket fills the entire contact area between the type guide and segment, about the same thickness as the spring wire, with little cutouts for the spring and screw holes. Then you just sandwich the gasket + spring between the paper guide and segment. I'm assuming the screws are long enough to fit it, but I'd expect they should.

Board footera