You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-10-2023 18:21:19  #1

Polishing & deep cleaning body panels

A little while back, I saw Duane Jensen's video cleaning up a QDL ribbon cover: Royal Quiet De Luxe Wrinkle Paint Restore Clean Brighten, Washing Lid on Vintage Typewriter - YouTube

Seeing as I'm in the middle of working on a gloss-finish Remington 5 streamliner, I thought I'd give it a try (though I used Flitz polish as that's what I had on hand). It's really a good process for deep cleaning and restoring that glossy black, and also really gross seeing all the nicotine that comes off of it.

But, after doing the paper table and half of the ribbon cover, my shoulders are wrecked. 

Anyone found other techniques, other than good old fashioned elbow/shoulder grease, for this? (would love something that's half the size of a Griot's "mini" orbital polisher). I think a dremel is way too high speed (and runs in a single direction), so I wouldn't want to try that. 

08-10-2023 10:09:58  #2

Re: Polishing & deep cleaning body panels

I always just use simple green like Duane did in the video; however, I use a toothbrush instead of the large “stiff” bristle he used. I then follow up with Endust instead of the WD40 it looked like he used. This has worked well for me on both crinkle and smooth finishes and is easy to do.

You may be more detailed about it than I am, but I’ve been happy every time with the results. 

08-10-2023 16:15:10  #3

Oops! I confused myself in my youtube history: I watched Duane's video just before watching this one on polishing: Royal KHM - Techniques for Polishing Antique Glossy Black Paint - YouTube. That's the one I've been applying.

Still, I wonder if a little simple green after my usual dish soap & water pass might leave less to polish away with Flitz...

08-10-2023 16:17:20  #4

For smooth painted bodies, I use Scrubbing Bubbles spray and clean cotton rags (i.e. old towels).

Then I use Flitz on...other clean cotton rags.

Here are before & after for my Royal FP.

I did add some new in-fill paint for the recessed Royal logo on the back panel.

Board footera