You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-10-2014 17:13:01  #1

Royal Quiet Deluxe key replacement?

I recently purchased my first vintage typewriter, a royal quiet deluxe. I found it at a gargage sale for ten bucks and couldn't pass it up. Everything works except for the "m" key, because it is missing/broken. I attached some pictures below of the problem. The actual lever(I think that's what the part is called) is broken under the machine. Is this a fixable problem, or do I basically have a parts machine now?

Thanks,Hector

09-10-2014 19:36:25  #2

Re: Royal Quiet Deluxe key replacement?

You need a lot more than just a key, but don't despair. I've seen entire machines being parted out on eBay, so if you're lucky you'll come across someone who is selling those parts. I don't know where you live, but you might also want to contact any typewriter repair shops that might still exist in your area - or in other cities for that matter. Some members here have lucked with sourcing parts from such places.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-10-2014 16:45:02  #3

Could you tell me the name of the parts I should track down? I'm really green at all of this.

11-10-2014 14:28:30  #4

Essentially all of the parts from the key itself backward (I can't tell from the photo). Just use the neighbouring key arm as a reference and follow it to see what else might be gone, look for any missing springs, or damage past the point the missing arm was snapped off. Photos will help when contacting typewriter shops. I really hope you manage to save this machine; the QDL is an exceptional typewriter, but its practical use is pretty limited without a working letter M.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-10-2014 18:01:43  #5

Looks like there is a shop in Cambridge. Going to lug it there on Tuesday for them to inspect in person. Wish me luck!

11-10-2014 18:54:10  #6

If it's the one I've heard of then you'll be in good hands. Oh, and good luck!

16-10-2014 15:59:50  #7

Well the typewriter is more trouble than it's worth at this point. Although I did just get myself a very nice Smith Carona Silent!

16-10-2014 18:57:03  #8

TypicalType wrote:

Looks like there is a shop in Cambridge. Going to lug it there on Tuesday for them to inspect in person. Wish me luck!

Are you talking about Cambridge Typewriter in Cambrige, MA or a different Cambridge? Congrats on your new typewriter either way!!

01-11-2014 20:16:46  #9

Cambridge MA

Board footera