You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-3-2013 15:40:09  #11

Re: Typewriters at an antiques fair

That depends on what you call a 'bargain'. Most typewriters in Australia, even the cheap plastic ones from the 70s and 80s, go for hundreds of bucks. I once saw a...I think it was a Royal...10...go for $400, 500. And it's not like it actually WORKED. It was just a boat-anchor. 

The typewriter I bought, was listed on Gumtree for $250. I had a word with the seller and he was agreeable to dropping it to $200. IF I would come to pick it up. I agreed. So I took the tram halfway across town, tested out the typewriter, paid up, packed up, and left. 

The guy had apparently gotten it in a trade with a colleague several years ago. He's a scriptwriter. And used to use the typewriter as a method of inspiration. But he had no use for it anymore. So I bought it. 

The typewriter required some work before I could use it reliably. I had to smooth out the feed-rollers, I cleaned the typing-mechanism, and I gave it a general sprucing up. I type very fast (up to 80wpm is my limit, I think), so a functioning, non-jamming type-mechanism was essential. 

Three things on this typewriter do not work: 

- Carriage-lock.
- Shift-lock.
- Stencil-setting. 

But then, I don't use any of those functions ANYWAY. So it's not like it greatly affects the use of the machine. 

One day, I'd love a nice, antique desktop typewriter. But that may have to wait... 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

01-4-2013 05:25:02  #12

I agree with Uwe about Etsy.
Some of their prices are just insane.

For instance:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/117910995/sale-monday-morning-sky-typewriter-rare?ref=sr_gallery_37&ga_search_query=typewriter&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=GB&ga_page=3&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintagetypewriter

One thing that I do like about Etsy though is that most sellers I've come across are friendly and SOME are willing to negociate at a lower price.

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

01-4-2013 05:39:15  #13

FOUR HUNDRED AND...For that money, I could buy an antique standard! Forget it! Whoever's selling that hunk of junk is either a fool, or is waiting for one to arrive. 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

07-4-2013 07:22:41  #14

Being new to this, and looking round for machines, I see a Hermes Baby for $55 in one place and the same machine in same condition for $350 in another. 

I buy and sell on EBay a fair bit, and it seems to be the same with everything; prices swing wildly across a factor of ten times - I just scroll past the silly folk wasting their time by listing something for ten times the price others are selling for.  Irritating, but what can you do!

Sincerely,
beak.

07-4-2013 07:36:03  #15

I saw a Remington Portable go for $70.00 once. I saw another one go for nearly $400.00 

Prices...prices... 

Most people who sell this stuff don't know what their stuff is worth, unfortunately. That's either to our advantage, or disadvantage, as the case may be. A million and one things determine value. 

Age is not one of them. 

28-4-2013 18:43:17  #16

Typewriters found during one day's worth of antiques bargain-hunting around town...

Remington Letter-Riter, I think. 

Remington-Rand portable with touch-control. 

Remington Model 11 Standard. 

Blickensderfer three-bank typewriter. With original box. $600. 

28-4-2013 19:15:31  #17

Shangas wrote:

Typewriters found during one day's worth of antiques bargain-hunting around town...

How I miss Melbourne!  Whenever I work there I come back with a box of goodies.  Is this Camberwell market?

Sincerely,
beak.

28-4-2013 20:58:03  #18

The Blickensderfer is at Camberwell Market. Yes. The others were all from the Antiques Wholesalers at the Waverly Antiques Market. It's this HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE warehouse filled to the rafters with antiques. It's very easy to get lost there! 

I should make it clear, I didn't buy these typewriters - I merely photographed them as I wandered around. 

Last edited by Shangas (28-4-2013 20:58:52)

30-4-2013 17:43:56  #19

Talking about grotesque prices, I'm watching a Smith Corona going for a buy-it-now price of £2,500 on eBay UK right now!?

30-4-2013 19:47:05  #20

Good god! 

You remind me of an episode of "Pawn Stars" when this lady brought in her 1920s Remington Portable No. 2. 

She asked $5,000 for it! Needless to say, the Family Harrison turned her down. 

Board footera